Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Post-race Eats

Today I've decided to link up with Coaches' Corner on nutrition and hydration.  My topic is the way I handle refueling at races.


I don't have a sensitive stomach by any means, but I can't eat immediately after I've crossed the finish line.  I can drink plenty, but no eating.  At least I can start hydrating while I wait for my stomach to settle down.


My first half marathon was at Disney, and my parents bought me a pass to the Race Retreat tent, which was great pre-race, but I felt bad about not wanting to eat the hot food after the race.  I forced myself to eat because I knew I'd be hungry later, and I certainly didn't want that price tag (I think $99 in 2012) to go to waste.  As I said, it was great pre-race because I could grab a banana and bagel with cream cheese as a second breakfast since my breakfast in the room was a couple hours earlier.  All the pre-race food could be carried to the corrals too.

After that, I haven't sprung for any race retreat/VIP tent because I have to wait to get.  Some races are great, like Disney, where they provide a snack box and banana that I can take with me and eat when I'm ready.  After my Disney half in 2014, I inhaled the contents on the bus en route back to the hotel.  Enough time had relapsed that I was hungry and hey, snack box! 

Other races I've done missed the mark with a bunch of cheap carb snacks with no protein.  By this i mean a packet of pretzels and two things of cookies.  Really?  I'm thinking of Dallas, and they didn't provide water bottles either.  The finish line had Dixie cups of water and that was it.  Post-race had cartons of chocolate milk.  Not exactly what I want when it was so humid out.  When I was walking back to my car, I passed a Jimmy John's that was open, with water bottles and lunch!  Turkey and cheese, oh my! I had cash in my check bag for a just in case thing.  You bet this was just in case.


The last big race I did was in Eugene, and one of the sponsors was Krusteaz, so there were pancakes after the race.  I can always find time to eat pancakes!  I can eat breakfast at any point during the day.  They also had a smorgasbord of snacks I could take with me on the shuttle.  Bagels, bananas, clementines, peanut butter...  Like the snack boxes, I could eat these the entire way back to where we parked the car.

Linking up with  Running on Happy, Suzlyfe, Crazy Running Girl, and Coach Debbie Runs

8 comments:

  1. Ugg, having to drink water out of a dixie cup at the finish line is just wrong. I know some races like Big Sur don't provide plastic water bottles because of the whole "go green" concept.

    I'm not usually hungry after a race either. I think I hung out at the tent for a least an hour after the last wdw marathon before we got in line for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I needed to eat, but it's never fun forcing myself to eat. The food looked and smelled wonderful, but I just wasn't hungry yet.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking up! I think I'm lucky because most of the races I've run have pretty good fare at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when races have good food at the end. I was shocked with Dallas because I'd never heard of cookies at fuel, and I wanted something better.

      Delete
  3. I'm like you, I don't eat much after a race. In fact after a marathon I have zero appetite for several hours.
    However, once I did have a race that had some of the best catered cooked dinner type meals after a race, I mean there was everything. So I tried hard to eat it, so I would be full and not have to go out again later that day and eat, LOL Didn't work as I hoped, but I tried, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get hungry between 30 and 60 minutes after a race, then I want a big breakfast. It all depends on the food too. My cousin did the VIP for an RnR and the post-race food was fajitas. What?

      Delete
  4. I am this way as well. I have zero desire for any food at the finish line. Only a drink. Sometimes I force myself to get something down but yes, VIP areas are a waste for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The race retreat tent was nice, but I haven't done any VIP tents after. Disney does it best, but their snack boxes were pretty good too.

      Delete