Friday, April 15, 2016

Boston Favorites

Since Monday is the Boston Marathon, I thought I'd make my list all about my favorite things to do in Boston.  I don't miss the city that much, but Marathon Monday is an exception.  There's a buzz in the city that can't be replicated.


1) Mike's Pastry.  If you're staying in Boston, whether running or spectating, celebrate at Mike's Pastry in the North End, on Hanover Street.  It's not far from the Old North Church either, on Salem Street, so follow the Freedom Trail painted on the sidewalk and take your cookies or cannolis (or both?) with you.  You're always given to-go boxes for your goodies.

2) The History.  You can walk the Freedom Trail yourself, and pick up maps to guide you and follow the red stripe, or take the guided tours.  The Trail is about 2.5 miles so if you are a runner and haven't gotten enough exercise, take a stroll along the trail.  There's SO much history on that tour.  If the Freedom Trail isn't enough, or your pressed for time, how about visiting Old Ironsides herself, the USS Constitution.  She is a stop on the Freedom Trail, but any stops can be done on your own.  The 2015 brochure says she'll be in Dry Dock for restoration for three years, so visitors can see the entire ship.
Courtesy of Dad
3) Faneuil Hall.  Another mainstay.  There's so much to do and see and eat.  There is a Cheer's restaurant, but it's not THE restaurant.  That one's on Beacon Street.  If the weather's nice, walking outside between both sides is wonderful, but be careful of the cobblestones.  I never wore heels on that street because talk about rolling my ankles.

4) If there's one thing I miss, it's the seafood.  I'm not a clam fan, so I didn't ever have clam chowder (or chowdah!), but there's so much more to the seafood than the chowder.  Seafood not your thing?  There are plenty of restaurants all over the city serving other cuisines.

5) Duck boats and Swan boats.  You can pick up the Duck Tours at the Pru, or ride the Swan boats in the Public Gardens.  If you enjoy the Gardens, don't forget about the Make Way for Ducklings statues.  The ducklings and Mrs. Mallard get dressed up for the seasons.  Don't believe me?  A quick search on Google and you'll find my favorite.  They're dressed up for spring and the marathon.

From Trip Advisor
Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?! 

18 comments:

  1. I would love to visit on marathon weekend one year! I can imagine the excitement in the air!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I worked near the Commons one year, I passed all the runner's boarding buses out to Hopkinton. That was exciting, too bad I wasn't inspired yet.

      Delete
  2. Id love to go up and spectate the Boston marathon one year! Those ducklings are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that the city dresses them up for various seasons. Most times they're "normal" but they have Sox jerseys and Bruins jerseys to go with their spring bonnets.

      Delete
  3. See? This is perfect. Now when I finally do make it to Boston I'll know what to look for! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I was putting a list together for when my cousin and her husband visit Boston this year and thought it'd be a good Friday 5 too.

      Delete
  4. It has been too long since I have been to Boston. I wish I was going this weekend, but a trip will have to happen at some point! I just remember my dad having clam chowder and/or lobster at every meal except for breakfast, haha. No joke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No better place, except maybe Maine for lobster. My parents would drive up there once in a while and get lobster right off the boat.

      Delete
  5. It must be so much fun to watch the marathon! The whole city really gets into it so much. We did the Cape cod Ragnar last year and spent some time in Boston first fun city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would watch it in my town since the major road is closed for the race. We went the first couple years we lived in Boston, and it was my first intro to road racing.

      Delete
  6. I'd love the seafood, but what I'd like to see are the swan boats--that book Make Way for Ducklings was a favorite here when the boys were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I see mother ducks with their young, I think of the statues.

      Delete
  7. Omg that duck boat sounds too funny. Reminds me of being at the Peabody and seeing the ducks line up to walk on a carpet to the elevator. I didn't thk that was a thing until I witnessed it.-L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look that up. That's funny.

      Delete
  8. My inlaws used to live on the Cape, so we spent our time there, and rarely got into btown. Love chowder (if only it wasn't so fattening).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like clams or lobster. I know, 12 years in Boston, but I didn't see the big deal about lobster.

      Delete
  9. I have only been to Boston once for conference so I didnt have time to explore much. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boston is definitely a fun city to explore as a tourist. Last time I was there, a running trail went by my hotel so I took advantage and ran along the river.

      Delete