Tuesday, March 22, 2016

To Wear the Race Shirts... or Not

Today's Tuesday on the Run is all about that race shirt.  We've talked about race shirts before, but today is whether you wear them or not.  I'm a definite NOT.  I don't want to depend on a shirt I've never seen before, never even worn a prototype for, and definitely don't know the material/cut/fit.  Since I don't pick them up until right before the race, I can't train in them.  Where are they going to chafe?  Did I choose a size that ends up engulfing me, or is it too small?  There's no way I'm putting my faith in a shirt I've never seen before.

My favorite race shirt
I will pack for any kind of weather situation so I have tried and true clothes in case Mother Nature decides to throw a wrench in the works.  I'm pretty good at packing a carry-on because it would be awful if I had everything in a suitcase, and it got lost.  It's stressful enough when that happens, even if it's on the way home, but when I have a big race that I've prepped for?  Oh boy.

I also, normally, don't wear the race shirts for running.  If it's a great shirt, I'll wear it on the weekends outside of work, or as a lounge shirt at home.  Thin, light material is great in the summer, and can cover my shoulders when I have the AC on.  I'm like Goldilocks, and wants thing be just right.  Otherwise the shirts really sit in my dresser.  I'm trying to collect them to send in for a blanket, but there are a couple shirts I'll keep out of that mix.

*****

To update from yesterday, talking about acoustic wave therapy, my chiro is stopping wave therapy, but prescribing PT with their therapist.  I think deep down, I knew this was coming since my chiro gave me exercises to do a few weeks ago.  I am doing them, absolutely, but my hips are so weak, despite the progress I have made.  I mean, even this time last year, I was working my way up to 2 miles pain free, and I did 3.5 miles pain free in Boulder.  I do need help, and I've been prescribed PT twice a week for 4 weeks.  I'll be diligent with any take-home exercises I get.


Tuesdays on the Run with Patty, Erika, and Marcia

27 comments:

  1. We never depend on wearing a race shirt as we always have a race outfit planned but if the weather is a little chillier (like at RnR Dallas on Sunday) then sometimes the race shirt will make its debut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we got that cold front, didn't we? I wasn't happy with all that wind when I was running Saturday.

      Delete
  2. I did end up wearing the race shirt for a St. Patrick's Day race I did this month since I didn't have any other green running shirts. But it was a 10k so I figured it wouldn't be too bad even if it did chafe. And I definitely wear my race shirts out for training runs and stuff. Good luck with the PT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm VERY picky about what I wear when I run, so most of the time the race shirt doesn't make the cut. And if I love it, I don't want to stink it up :-p

      Delete
  3. I do love that Eugene shirt. All the best with your PT! BTDT with weak hips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my favorite, despite it being Nike. Nike cuts are normally horrendous on my body.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks. They're all my personal points, that I do for me. If people want to wear the race shirt, fine, but I won't be the one finding chafed spots.

      Delete
  5. I don't run a race in the race shirt, for one of the reasons you listed I don't wear new things on race day. That is one of the biggest mistakes a runner can make and the chaffing that can come from it ouchy!
    I hope the PT will be better for you! Sometimes PT's are the best for muscle recovery and if you hips are weak they'll definitely be able to help you to know what to do to strengthen them.
    My advice for anyone going to any therapy like this is make sure to do everything they tell you to do between appointments and daily. Those who do, tend to heal quick and you may only need 3-4 visits with them. Those that don't won't heal. You've been great on your own so I'll keep my fingers crossed you can heal up what is ever wrong and have no more pain and no more PT or Chiro appointments and just be able to run and workout as you'd like with no future problems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're still weak after the progress I have made. Oy! I'm still doing the exercises my chiro gave me and I'm still fatiguing.

      Delete
  6. Wishing you well on your recovery! I struggle with hip weakness too and really need to do more exercises like the ones you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus whatever the PT gives me. I really am trying, but I guess I was so weak to begin with. I keep thinking I need to take up soccer again for my hip strength.

      Delete
  7. I'm loving that race shirt you posted! I'm also in the not category, but don't think it's a big deal for those that do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best one I've gotten, and the one I'll withhold from the shirt blanket.

      Delete
  8. I know I really should get PT. I'm good about strength training, but I still have problem areas that I'm sure would benefit from PT.

    I chafe so randomly, it's very frustrating -- can wear the same clothes, in the same conditions, and have chafing one time, not another. But I do like to wear race shirts (some of them) for training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hips are very much problems areas. It'll be interesting to see what the assessment will be and what exercises I'm given.

      Delete
  9. Kinda the same here - I would much rather train in a shirt and wash it prior to wearing it, especially in a race. However, I do like wearing them the rest ofhte

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kinda the same here - I like to train in and wash my running clothes prior to racing in them. I also like to wear a race shirt the rest of the day after running the race. However, I do like to wear race shirts for training runs (as long as they are dry fit). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on the Dry Fit. I may not run in them, but the Dry Fit is still perfect for weekends during the summer. I will end up sweating, I might as well be comfortable.

      Delete
  11. I don't like to depend on the race shirt either. Never a good idea to wear something new on race day! Good luck with the PT, hopefully it will help improve your strength even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I was told to hold back on building mileage until they can build up strength, then finish out the training.

      Delete
  12. I hope the PT work helps for you! I'm with you I don't wear race shirts before the race, with the exception of a virtual run. I'll wear it for the race :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting antsy waiting for PT to get guidance on what to do at home. I'm trying to focus on my hips until then, but am I doing the right exercises?

      Delete
  13. I'm the same as you, I get nervous about chafing and other unpleasantries with wearing an untested shirt on race day. Heck, I've had issue with well-tested gear still causing me issue just on race day! It's funny how things work like that!

    I hope PT goes well for you!!! Please keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up having chafing issues yesterday with my armband. I normally don't have issues, but I didn't have body glide and had to make do.

      Delete
  14. PT has been great for me! I hope you'll feel the same. No, I don't wear the shirt either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. They know what they're doing and I'm now a good patient. I wasn't in high school.

      Delete