Thursday, March 24, 2016

Random Thoughts

After my Monday appointment with my chiro lead to some frustrations, I decided to tackle things head on.  PT doesn't start until next week, but one adjustment I've made is sitting less at work.  I made a makeshift work station where I can stand, or sit, so I limit the time I'm sitting.  I know article after article points to sitting all day that ruins hip strength, so I'm going to try it.  If standing all the time is too much, I can splurge on a stability ball and use that as a chair.  My legs and core will still have to work so I don't roll away.


I ended up laughing at this article from Women's Running.  I am now a runner in my 30's, if my hips are any indication, and I laughed at all points.  They're all true, except I never mowed the lawn.  I'm a bit of a klutz, and my dad never trusted me with a mower and its spinning blade.  Darn, right :-p  I certainly wasn't going to argue and say that I had to mow the lawn for character building.  Old shoes were tossed since I was rough on them, and they weren't always the best.  Seriously, how did I do so much training in whatever shoes I thought looked good?

I should've done this ages ago, but I ordered my first running hat.  I've never run with a non-winter hat, but Monday I had a pretty itchy scalp after my run Saturday.  Is it sunburn or windburn?  That wind was really cranking on Saturday, but it's time I protect my scalp.  I sunscreen everything else.  I have a ton of Sweaty Bands, but if I'm going to be outside, I think I need to switch to hats.


And last night we had ourselves our first major spring storm.  Denver got pounded with blizzard conditions, and in the spring time, that usually means thunderstorms for us.  It also brought hail.  My car's covered at home, so it's unscathed, but desperately needs a bath.  Other cars weren't so lucky in my town, and the local news this morning was showing cars not far from my complex, all beaten up and windshields shattered.  The storm also scared Allie, who's normally unfazed by big storms.  The hail was big, and loud hitting the windows and roof.  It was 81 yesterday, and I wokeup to temps in the 40s.


Thinking Out Loud with Amanda.

10 comments:

  1. Your blizzard reminds me a bit of the weather when I lived in Austin (minus the snow). Our cars never had hail damage, but our roof did -- and the insurance replaced it so that was cool!

    Well, I never was a runner in my 20s. Or 30s. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always make sure any apartment complex I'm looking at has covered parking. Hail storms happen too frequently in Dallas.

      Delete
  2. I love a good thunderstorm but not when it causes damage!

    I just started mowing grass last summer and I actually enjoy it. I am afraid to use the lawn tractor so I push mow. It definitely gets my steps in for the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally t-storms are fine, and I can sleep through them. But hail is very different, especially when the chunks are on the bigger side.

      Delete
  3. You could also look into a new work chair. Years back I worked with a gal who kept getting hip pain from sitting at work, and she got a new chair and never had any problems after it.
    But I agree getting up more frequntely may help you too!
    Years back I worked at a job and I would sit on a stability ball (they gave them to us all) besides the fact it was fun to see everyone bob up and down. It was a lot harder than you think. But I gradually worked up to a few hours a day in it. It is awesome for the abs, and I could totally see how it would help strengthen your hips too.
    Hope you can get it figured out and get your hips feeling great again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our office manager is stingy, so I'm not sure I could get a new chair. At least a stability ball isn't too expensive, and I could use it for exercise during lunch.

      Delete
  4. Gotta love the bipolar weather, eh? I can't even complain because we had a pretty easy winter this year, but it's been doom, gloom, and SNOW since spring officially started. But at least the bulk of winter is one and it can only get better from here :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is always interesting. We seem to get worse storms, but thankfully at this time, no snow. Can't say the same thing for my family in Denver.

      Delete
  5. I hope that sitting less helps! I mean, I hear its good for everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to not sit as long, but it's hard at a desk job. I do make sure I walk around, get up and stretch, that sort of thing.

      Delete