Thursday, March 31, 2016

PT Assessment and Homework

I had my first PT appointment on Tuesday, and I got homework to boot.  I actually wanted homework because the whole appointment was the assessment.  Today is my first actual PT appointment with exercises.  I did the exercises almost right after I got home, and then some.  I figured those shouldn't be the ONLY exercises I do on my own, but I tried not to overdo it.  I only have 35 days till I leave for Anaheim.

To start off, I'm weak (shocking!).  I have imbalances between sides and between muscles.  My right side may be my dominant side, and may have been the stronger one back in the day, but it's now my weaker side.  But I have more muscle tone on my right side.  My left doesn't want to be left out so it's the tighter side.  I've been trying to get both hips to loosen up with "firelog" from yoga, but I've got a ways to go.  Because...


My back is tight.  My hamstrings are stronger than my glutes so they're taking over the exercises I'm doing to try to get my glutes to fire.  One-leg bridges are a classic example.  The trick with those is to not extend as high up as I have been.  If I keep my glutes and hips low, the glute does activate.  I got those, a two-leg bridge, hip abduction, and a clam series to do on my own.  The two-leg bridge is done with a ball between my knees to engage my inner thighs, which are also weak.  They're weaker than the outer thighs, and tighter, so they can't counterbalance the work my quads and IT band are doing when my glutes get tired.  I've been doing "frog" in yoga to try to get those to loosen up.

My posture's also bad, so we need to get the lower back to loosen up and not engage when I need the glutes to engage instead.  I'm sure the lower back issues all stem from my sitting all day.  I basically felt like a mess hearing all of this.  I didn't used to have these problems, but then I used to play sports that worked all my muscles every single day.  The constant forward motion in running hasn't challenged my stability at all.


So, I did all my homework exercises, plus focused on lower core.  Part of what the PT wants me to do involves tightening my lower core with every exercise to stabilize from the front instead of using the low back.  Which is where my Pure Barre DVD comes in to play.  Anybody who does Pure Barre knows we focus on that part of the core, both during ab exercises, and when we're tucking.  The DVD is broken up into segments, so not only did I focus on the core, but it also had some seat work too.  Bonus!

Was I sore?  I had a knot, somewhere between my right hamstring and inner thigh.  Maybe the ball squeezing worked?  I've been rolling it with a lacrosse ball and stretching it, preparing for my first session today.  If I get any more take-home work, I'll add it to what I'm already doing.


Changing things up at linking with  Running on HappySuzlyfeCrazy Running Girl, and Coach Debbie Runs for the Coach’s Corner.

10 comments:

  1. One thing I've always hated any time I start PT was the stupid assessment and then making us come back for a 2nd appointment to actually start, I have never understood why they can't just get us going right after the assessments:)
    But I am glad your on track. Keep up any daily "homework" they give ya, and you'll be done with PT and done with hopefully any type of visits and be back to pain free for good!! Fingers crossed for ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a proper assessment will take up a whole PT appointment, and I very happy to get homework. Anything I can do on my own and help with the appointments.

      Delete
  2. Oh girl, we all have imbalances. I'm constantly working on mine! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I had some but I didn't know I had THAT many. Good grief, I certainly didn't feel young anymore.

      Delete
  3. I think my low back takes over alot in exercises too. I read that one way to do bridge to keep your back from engaging is to pull one knee in with your arms and do a single leg bridge-this helps from raising the working side higher than your glutes can handle. Good job doing all your exercises! Hopefully you will start to see improvements soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep the other leg flat, maybe to challenge my abs too? I can't go high at all in the exercise or my glutes are overpowered.

      Delete
  4. Best of luck with the homework! :) I had some of the same as well and it really helped. Yay for Tink...it's so close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know they helped. I'm still not sore, but she scheduled the at-home stuff to be done on a rotating basis so I have stuff to do every day.

      Delete
  5. My ankle is a lot better after 2 sessions. Although he just concentrated on that; I don't think my assessment was quite as thorough (and it was quite thorough!). I kind of feel like I want to go back even though I don't need to!

    It's so frustrating that we work so hard to be fit -- and we still aren't! Good luck with your exercises & I hope they bring you relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. I'm focusing on strength training during the week, and I'll see if I'm making progress on my weekend runs.

      Delete