Monday, March 21, 2016

Monday Musings 3/21

Happy Monday, and happy spring.  The weekend was a good and busy one.  I got my 4-mile run done, did Pure Barre, got a new running toy (kind of toy), and I went to the FCD game, though it was quite chilly.  The week's weather was perfect, then we got a cold front Friday :-/  I ended up leaving the game early, but got home in time to watch some Track and Field World Indoor championships.

Saturday started with my morning routine of breakfast and yoga, then I ran a quick errand to get some groceries.  I'm trying to simulate race day morning, and knowing I'm going to be walking to the corrals, I'm trying to simulate that particular aspect.  I think walking around the grocery store is the best way I can do that, to walk around and stand on my feet, for when I'm waiting in the corrals.  I felt good and loose when I parked, but the run was tough.  I never felt like I was running smoothly.  I did get the 4 miles done, but I do need acoustic wave therapy to continue.  I felt the scar tissue flare up, but this time closer to my knee cap, BUT I was able to keep going.  The flare up was around 3 miles, but I never felt like I absolutely had to stop.  I could keep running, so I decided to try to get to 4 miles, and I did :-)  I was never in pain, but yes on discomfort.


Also on Saturday, I went to my LRS, Run On!, and bought a calf stretcher.  My calves can be tired and tight, and what I was doing wasn't quite cutting it.  My dad has a calf stretcher, and I loved that thing when I was in Boulder.  As Flynn Rider said, "oh mama, I have got to get me one of these!"  So I did.  I know my calves will thank me for it, but right now I need to be very diligent and keep stretching them out.  The stretcher came with a manual too to show how I can stretch in ways to get muscle groups beyond just the traditional calf.  I tried the hamstring stretch and I'm tight there too.


I also finished the book I was reading.  It was definitely one I needed, to be able to sit down and just read.  I'm starting to go through the books I have on my wish list, and I'm starting at the bottom of the list to get the books I marked last year.  Next up is a historical novel set in NYC during the Revolution.


Sunday, I switched my Pure Barre class to the earlier one since the wait list label came off that class and went to mine.  The 10:30 class was the one I wanted, and with it being Palm Sunday, I knew quite a few clients would be in church and want the later class.  I'll gladly switch, and it gave me the full afternoon to prep lunches for the week.  I"m trying something new this week and attempting to move away from processed chips and pretzels, to more whole foods.  I put together a salad for each of the week with green lettuce, dried cherries, toasted walnuts, slivered carrots, and of course, croutons.  I need that crunch so I don't end up missing the crunchy chips.  I'll see how that works out and what I want to add for next week.  Maybe some seeds.

Finally, I tried a new to me recipe I found on Runner's World.  It was very easy to make, and I went with the chicken broth option instead of using wine, but next time I'll use the wine option to see if/how the flavor differs.  The picture has green beans as a side, but I went with raspberries since I love my fruit, and I went with rice instead of spaghetti.  I also skipped the broil step to crisper the skin, since I don't eat the skin.  I always remove it when everything is done cooking, and throw it out.


Weekly Wrap-up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin.

*****

Monday: chiro visit, yoga

Tuesday: strength training

Wednesday: 30 minutes, yoga

Thursday: strength training

Friday: yoga

Saturday: yoga, 4 miles

Sunday: Pure Barre

22 comments:

  1. That's smart to try to simulate the walking in the corrals before a race. I never thought of that. And I've never heard of a calf stretcher before. My calves have been super tight too. I'll have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something that I'm trying to get my muscles to loosen up before the race. I won't be dashing to the corrals, but a nice walk beforehand will hopefully wake everything up.

      Delete
  2. Hope you enjoy your calf stretcher! Good for you for prepping salads. I've been packing healthier lunches for my teenager on the track team. So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was craving crunchy chips yesterday, but I think I can ride it out. I wasn't unhealthy, but I can always be better.

      Delete
  3. I have something similar to that calf stretcher and I try to use it every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My calves were quite tight yesterday and over the weekend. I got out my heating pad and the stretcher to help out.

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I could really use a calf stretcher, too. My calves are perpetually tight, no matter how much I foam roll or stretch. I look forward to hearing more about your experience with it as time goes on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does help. I went for a medical massage on my calves a couple months ago and there were so many knots.

      Delete
  5. Great job on the 4 miles!
    Have fun with your calf stretcher, but be careful not to over stretch you've worked so hard on getting back I don't want you to get into any more trouble.
    Calf stretchers are good though, tight calves can cause so many problems so keeping them lose is always a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have overdone rolling and stretching in the past, so I'm being careful. My calves don't need to join the party of injuries and issues.

      Delete
  6. The skin is the best part. :)

    I think I might need a calf stretcher -- my calves are definitely tight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was using a chair to help stretch, but after using my parents' stretcher, I knew I wanted one. It reaches that extra stretch that hurts so good.

      Delete
  7. That calf stretcher looks interesting! I hope it helps your calves and hamstrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using that, and frequent yoga seems to be helping. My muscles do feel better after a good stretching/yoga session.

      Delete
  8. What is acoustic wave therapy? I'm thinking it's like ultrasound?

    I need a major calf stretcher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a machine and tool that sends sound waves below the surface of the skin to break up scar tissue and other crap that may be going on. They really promote it as a great way to avoid surgery. Yes please.

      Delete
  9. My calf muscles get so tight I bet this would be great! Great job on the simulation on race day too! Thank you Lesley for linking up with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could already tell yesterday the stretcher's working. I don't feel the knots I did over the weekend.

      Delete
  10. I've never heard of a calf stretcher. Be sure to let us know if it works for you. Great job in getting your 4 miles in, even with your discomfort. It's odd, but I eat chickpeas (instead of chips) with my sandwich at lunch. I've never been a big salad eater. Thanks for linking with us Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that I can put whatever I want in the salads. I put in what I know I'll eat, and the croutons are a must.

      Delete
  11. I never heard of a calf stretcher. That Runners World dish looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was yummy! I used only two chicken breasts and I still had tons of leftovers.

      Delete