Tuesday, February 16, 2016

TOTR: Race Shirts

Races come with race shirts, and I have to admit, I'm not as excited about race shirts as I once was.  I've had mixed results in that department, and most of the time, I don't even wear them when I'm working out.  They do represent the race, and I do consider them a badge of honor, but it all depends on the shirt.


My favorite shirt is from Eugene in 2013, even if my leg did unravel in the last 5k.  I never knew how long 3.1 miles could be until that race.  But the shirt itself is excellent quality, a great color, fits me quite well, and Eugene is a running mecca.  Overall, a great shirt if I had a checklist of what I'm looking for.

My shirts range from all over, and some are certainly better than others.  I got two shirts when I did Dallas in 2012, and the long-sleeve participant shirt was so awful, I used it as a throwaway in Eugene.  The design was terrible, the fabric was terrible, the cut was terrible.  I knew right away I wouldn't be keeping it, then realized I had the perfect shirt to keep me warm in the corrals in Eugene.  It'd go to charity and hopefully the next recipient would like it.


So, what am I looking for in a race shirt?  I don't want white, because white shows stains, and trust me, I stain things.  I'm a klutz.  I also don't want the dreaded pit stains, which white shows quite easily.  I like fun colors and fun designs.  I'm also looking for technical material to keep the shirt comfy.  I may not wear them when I'm working out, but they can be great lounge shirts, which is also why I include the fit in my checklist.

The difficult part always seems to be the cut and size.  Some shirts I wear a small, some shirts I wear a medium.  The last race that had short sleeves had baggy shirts, so the medium I chose is too big.  But how can I know that in advance?  Most races (except the really big ones) doesn't seem to have a size chart.  I love bigger sizes though with long sleeves because they seem more comfy.  I am quite picky about what I wear.


Tuesdays on the Run with Patty, Erika, and Marcia

28 comments:

  1. I agree, it is so hard to gage how the shirts are going to be cut or the sizing. They may run small one year and then run big the next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. If I find a shirt, like the Eugene shirt, that fits so well, I get really happy.

      Delete
  2. I've written before on how much runners could easily do without a race tee (or at least the choice for not race tee, which is exactly what my next half does).

    And I am totally with you on the white ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like white shirts because the point of running clothes is the bright colors.

      Delete
  3. I've written before on how much runners could easily do without a race tee (or at least the choice for not race tee, which is exactly what my next half does).

    And I am totally with you on the white ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like white shirts because the point of running clothes is the bright colors.

      Delete
  4. Love that Eugene shirt! I'd love to run that one. I also have never gotten a pink race shirt, even when I've run "women's" races. What's up with that? Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran it with my best friend from high school, and the selling point was finishing on the Hayward Field track.

      Delete
  5. For some reason I love all of my long sleeve race shirts, and always hate the short sleeve ones! I don't even know the last time I had to buy a long sleeve running shirt because I always end up in a race shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the long sleeve shirts to be a little baggy, but it doesn't work with short sleeves. If I have roomy long sleeve shirts, I can wear those as outer layers.

      Delete
  6. I've recently gotten to the point where I never know whether I should get a sized small or medium shirt. Thankfully some races allow you to exchange them at the expo. White shirts can be okay but I was disappointed that my Cherry Blossom top looks pretty dingy now :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Princess 2012 shirt is white, but I'm proud of that shirt. I just wish it was a different color.

      Delete
  7. That Eugene shirt is beautiful! I've gotten so many race shirts over the years that I've gotten pickier about the ones I like, too. White shirts are a HUGE no-no. Who in their right mind would ever want a white shirt that shows all the pit stains? Long-sleeve shirts are great but they are a rarity for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited in the beginning to get race shirts, now I hold off until I get the actual shirt.

      Delete
  8. I'm also super picky about race shirts, which is why all of mine are in a bag waiting to be made into a quilt. I think them as a way to remember the race, but I also know I'll never wear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to remember the races, but I think a quilt would be much more fun. I can display them instead of keeping them in the closet.

      Delete
  9. I totally agree - and I think I'm kind of a t-shirt snob! If I don't like the print, I order my husband's size! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have that option, but I do order a size I think I would wear. Then I have to wait to see the actual shirt.

      Delete
  10. I've never been to Eugene, but I've heard such amazing things about it--I really need to go visit someday! I've heard of people making quilts with all their race shirts or college club shirts, and I've always thought that'd be a really cute idea! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous. It reminded me of Boulder, without the mountains.

      Delete
  11. Last year I ran the Get Lucky half and I thought the sweatshirt was butt ugly. But I see a lot of folks wearing it, so maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

    A lot of my race shirts end up in the Goodwill bag. My biggest pet peeve (and it has improved over the years) are races who give "unisex aka big man shirts" to participants. Seriously? When over half of race participants are women?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a big pet peeve of mine. If we're all paying registration fees, I should be able to at least get a women's cut.

      Delete
  12. I am very picky about race shirts, too. I do not like the boxy-cut unisex shirts (really? who has a body that will look good in that?)I am not a fan of crew-neck shirts, either (give me a scoop neck and I'll be much happier). I also want the shirt to be fitted, not a baggy & saggy piece of fabric. Of course, color is important, and fun graphics are a bonus. And if it's a cotton shirt, most likely I will "forget" it at the registration table. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crew-necks dig in to my neck, and was one of the reasons I really hated that Dallas shirt. It was tight and dug in. I like scoop or V-necks because they're much more comfortable.

      Delete
  13. That Eugene shirt is very nice! I like the different colors of green. I usually opt for Medium but sometimes they swallow me up. But I would rather err on the side of too big than too small. Many of my ill fitting ones went to the kids over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have anyone who could take my ill fitting shirts. I can save up for a blanket, but there are shirts I would want to keep out and still wear.

      Delete
  14. I've taken to buying white tech shirts at Target, then throwing them out at the end of the summer. I like the lighter color in the heat, but you're right about the ugly stains. Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I run inside during the summer cuz Texas. I wear a lot of tank tops to deal with the hit so no pit stains.

      Delete