Tuesday, February 23, 2016

TOTR: Race Medals

What are y'all's favorite race medal(s)?  Do you own them or are those races on a bucket list?  It's easy to get bling envy these days, and I will admit I was jealous of those who did the WDW 10k for a Minnie medal, and then the Tink medals are pretty sweet too.  I love the fairies on the 10k, and it may or may not be part of the reason why I'm "downgrading" to 10k races.  I have my WDW Donald medal, but Disney is coming up with some really good 10k designs.


I really like all the medals I own, the first half marathon, of course, being the Princess half in 2012.  I know they've changed the design since, but that was my very first Run Disney half.  I didn't have any expectations, I just wanted to finish the race, and in a way, I think I enjoyed the race more than the others I've done.  I won't deny I placed pressure on myself to do better with each successive half, but the Princess didn't have any pressure.  It was my first major race, and I wanted to soak everything in.


Heck, I didn't even have a blog yet when I did Princess.  In a way, I'm trying to return to that feeling of no pressure.  All I want to do with the Tink 10k is have a good training cycle, and just finish the race and have fun.


Tuesdays on the Run with Patty, Erika, and Marcia

18 comments:

  1. That Princess medal is really nice! And I agree, I seem to enjoy the races where I don't put pressure on myself more but it's hard to do that when we really want our training to "pay off."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I wanted to do better in my second half, then I was going to use my third have for corral placement for my 4th. I have no pressure on me for Tink.

      Delete
  2. The Disney medals are all so beautiful. I ran Wine and Dine twice and I also earned a Coast to Coast medal a few years ago, and those are amongst my all-time favorite medals. Running Princess must have been such an incredible experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun, certainly a learning experience, and I'm happy I got to do it before all the chaos hit (like this year).

      Delete
  3. Disney makes some pretty awesome medals! I need NEED need! to do a Disney race one day soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They keep adding more, and I've noticed the last two race series to open registration at DL still have spots open for the half. DL usually sells out very quickly.

      Delete
  4. I have that same tink 10k medal and I don't think I even noticed all those fairies on it till just now. I didn't realize how cute that was...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a little bit to realize those are fairy wings on the medal. The design looked weird when they first unveiled it.

      Delete
  5. That 10k medal is cute!
    I don't really have a favorite, now that I think about it, they all have special meaning regardless of how they look. But if I was to pick one, I guess it would be my first marathon finishers medal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the first major race is always very special. I had no idea what to expect, and I was more go-with-the-flow.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on the "downgrading" to the 10Ks. I have 2 halves left (one this weekend I'm really considering skipping!) and then I'm looking to get back to the shorter distances. And I don't mind that the 10K medals are some of my faves either! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about medal envy. Minnie Mouse started it, then they came out with the Stormtrooper, and others.

      Delete
  7. It's so hard to pick favorites- of course I love my runDisney race medals (my Tower of Terror one glows in the dark!) and there are multiple OCR's I've done with cool medals. Spartan comes to mind as well as Battlefrog. I used to have an obsession with frogs so it's cool to have one on a medal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like creative medals. I feel like we're spoiled by some series because the designs are so good.

      Delete
  8. I don't have any Disney medals yet! So far my favorite medals would be my Ragnar medal and my RnR Vegas medal because it glows in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RnR Vegas is on my bucket list for the 10k. Racecation and running down the Vegas strip.

      Delete
  9. That Tink with the fairy wings is so pretty! Disney does a really good job with medals. My first (and second) Disney medal was Donald Duck. I'm not a big fan on the pantsless Don. I'm glad I finally got a Mickey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked Donald, and I treasure my medal with him. I earned that by sheer willfulness.

      Delete