Tuesday, February 2, 2016

My Training Plan

I've mentioned I started training for the Tink 10k, but I haven't discussed exactly what that training plan is.  I'm using the Jeff Galloway plan for runDisney as a guide, and modifying it to suit my needs/requirements.  It is a guide for beginners, and I thought that'd be a good start since I haven't built training for a race for almost 3 years.  I knew I needed a guide for long runs as I start this process again.  The first week had 1.5 miles for the long run, but I did 2.25 since that was what I was doing for my base in early January.

Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
1 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 2.25
2 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 2
3 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 2.5
4 Iron Strength yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 30 minutes
5 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 3
6 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 40 minutes
7 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 3.5
8 Iron Strength yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 30 minutes
9 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 4.25
10 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 30 minutes
11 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 5
12 Iron Strength yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 30 minutes
13 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 5.75
14 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 30 minutes
15 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 6 miles
16 Iron Strength yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 30 minutes
17 Pure Barre yoga strength train 30 minutes strength train rest 10k

The actual plan has running twice during the week, then long runs on Saturdays.  Since I need strength training twice during the week, for my weaknesses, I changed up that aspect and will only run once during the week.  Since I'm doing 6.2 miles, I think I'll be fine.  Some strength training will involve cardio, but no actual running.  I need to be focused and keep building up the strength to keep ITBS away as much as possible.

My shirt for Tink, front
Right now the scar tissue in my knee flares up with faster speeds, so while I'm getting that treated at my chiro's, I'm working on keeping my speed in check.  I also think I'll be in the crowd during the actual race, so I'm trying to train slower outside to simulate that.  I'm not speedy right now and will not line up with a time I have no hope of reaching.  The crowd should keep me in check, and I hope to have a good beginning that will carry me through the rest of the race.  I'm also keeping my intervals at 1/1 as well, until I feel like I can build my running portion.

Back
The Iron Strength between Pure Barre Sundays is a suggestion, but I need a good alternative strength training day to mix things up outside of Pure Barre.  I think 3 straight weeks of Pure Barre, then Iron Strength or a different longer strength workout will be a good balance.  I did Iron Strength this past weekend and since I hadn't done it in a bit, I was sore yesterday (Monday).





 Tuesdays on the Run with Patty, Erika, and Marcia.

20 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you're getting back to running and training. I need to do as much cross training as you do! I'm just finally getting the hang of it so I hope it will help me get stronger as a runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't enough days in the week to do all that I want with training, so I have to pick strengthening. That's what got me in trouble before.

      Delete
  2. Cute shirt! Good luck with your plan...I hope all that strength training helps you out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. First time ordering from Raw Threads and it fits great. I can't wait to try it out.

      Delete
  3. I like Galloway's training plans so I think you are in really good hands! The idea of mixing up the Pure Barre plus Iron Strength sounds terrific. Iron Strength in general sounds really hard core!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The full workout is, and I take it slow to make sure I'm doing the moves right. The other DVD in the case has smaller workouts, which are also good.

      Delete
  4. Pure Barre sounds amazing. I hope you have a great race- your training plan looks solid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I took a chance and started going. It's exactly what I needed and targets all my weaknesses.

      Delete
  5. Cute running shirt for the race!
    Good luck with your training plan!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw that design, I knew it was perfect. Captain Hook used to be my favorite Disney character.

      Delete
  6. Like the shirt! Perfect for your race. Keep up the good work on the strength training. It always help with keeping injuries away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking for something fun and I knew Raw Threads has fun designs. I can't run in costume, or with wings, but I still wanted something Disney.

      Delete
  7. For myself, personally, I find I need a certain weekly mileage to be able to tackle 13.1. So I've never trained for just a 10k & don't know how that would work for me -- I know for 13.1 I would never be able to get in the miles I need just 2 x week.

    I'll definitely be interested to see how it works for you. I also love that you have a variety of workouts in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be fine for a 10k, but I know I'd also need more running for a half. I'm not sure if/when I'd tackle a half again. The 10k distance is fun.

      Delete
  8. It's exciting that you are getting back into training! Looks like you have alot of strength work in there, I hope it helps you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breaking up strength training also helps. I do about 20-25 minutes of Pilates and slow strength moves during the week. I can do one day of just legs, then the second day will be legs and core. Sunday is whole body.

      Delete
  9. It looks like you have a good plan. I'm a huge fan of strength training and low miles. Hopefully that will be just what you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I was experimenting with this schedule in the fall to see if it was what I need to do.

      Delete
  10. I'm a huge fan of Jeff Galloway's training plans. His run-walk method has definitely helped me to become a stronger and faster runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only way I could do half marathons. Before I learned about his method, it didn't even occur to me to do run/walk for long distance.

      Delete