Thursday, February 4, 2016

My Strength Training

Tuesday I talked about my training plan, and today I'll talk about what I've been doing for strength training since I left PT last June.  I left PT partly because it was the same stuff, and partly because I was out of my covered sessions and paying out of pocket was expensive.

When I started looking for alternative options, Pure Barre came up and after research, I found 3 sessions of Pure Barre would be less than 1 session of PT.  I started going last April after finding Courtney's review and knew I needed to at least try it.  I got hooked after the first class.


I no longer use weight machines because after seeing results quickly from Pure Barre, I think relying so heavily on weight machines lead to my ITBS.  I relied so much on machines because I didn't feel like Pilates was working.  Now I think I just wasn't doing them right.  I know now how to engage the muscles as I work them, and feel like I am stronger.


Outside of Pure Barre, I use a lot of workout DVDs.  None of these are affiliated with this blog, but I'll post pictures in case y'all want to know which ones I use.  I have Jillian Michaels' DVDs, 10-minute Solutions, and yoga.  I built up the collection last summer as I was getting ready to cancel my gym membership.  Since I wasn't using the weight machines anymore, and my fitness room has 3 treadmills, I wasn't using the gym.

Add in YouTube videos when I need something quick and new, and voila!  I don't miss the gym, I don't miss the classes, and I'm getting a pretty good strength workout each week.  Add in all the extra construction and more traffic around my gym location, I don't miss the headache that was getting home afterwards.


I strength train on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the week, with short, multiple workouts and get anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes of good exercises.  Lately Tuesdays have been focused on legs and Thursdays have been legs and core.  I've found in my research the most important thing is to keep my muscles guessing and prevent them from plateauing. 


Sunday is either Pure Barre, or a longer workout, like Iron Strength, that gets the entire body.  Upper body is just as important.  I very recently bought Pilates for Runners, which is another long workout, that can be broken up into segments.  Sometimes I'll use that DVD's legs segment during the week, but I have some great options now for all days of strength training.  I haven't touched a weight machine since August.

* Editing to also include with Friday 5 :-)


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?! 

8 comments:

  1. That's interesting that you think the weight machines contributed to ITBS. I go to PT/gym so I CAN use the machines. I think it has definitely helped strengthened my legs keeping ITBS at bay(hopefully). Glad to see you are doing what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was going through the motions and not really focusing on what I was doing. The body weight exercises I do, with some smaller weights for extra resistance, seem to be working. I just have to take it slow to really feel the burn.

      Delete
  2. I've tried working out with DVD's but I can never commit to them. I've taken barre and enjoyed it, but I haven't been to a class in ages...it's tough! I'm so glad that your strength training is going well and you've got a nice routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't commit for years, but I slowly started using them when my ITBS was at its worst. It gave me something different to do and I found I really like it.

      Delete
  3. I don't like training on machines either, I just do exercises at home without much equipment. How do you like the Iron Strength video? I've been curious about the book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The video is a good workout. One DVD has the full workout, the other has two smaller workouts. I was pretty sore after the first time I did it.

      Delete
  4. I have a few of the same videos as you! And I don't really miss going to the gym either. It saves so much time to work out at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. That was a major choice. I get home before 5 when traffic isn't that bad, and it's nice that I can do something in my apartment, or walk to the fitness room. Traffic was pretty bad whenever I finished at the gym.

      Delete