Monday, February 22, 2016

Monday Musings 2/22

This week you might see more additions to my workouts.  Now that I've gotten yoga into my routine more, my next step is to do yoga every day.  I'm trying to do some quick, 15-to-20-minute yoga routines to now tackle my tight hips, then make Mondays and Fridays yoga days for longer routines.  Monday my chiro said my hips are still tight (granted this was a day after Pure Barre), and I need to keep up with stretching.  Roger that.  Youtube is my friend during this time so I don't get bored with the same routine.


Last week I saw Holly's post about a virtual run that had a Star Wars themed medal.  BB8.  This time I signed up solely for the bling.  I was feeling good enough after my chiro visit to do a 5k on the treadmill Wednesday.  I chose the treadmill to stay close to home because my knee was very tender after my sound waves therapy on Monday.  Ow!  It was almost like he was digging into my leg with the sound waves tool, but he wasn't.  I must have had a bit of crap in there that needed to be broken up.  I didn't feel a single twinge during that 5k run so the next step was, of course, running outside on Saturday.

Spoiler alert, I had a really good run.  The schedule said 40 minutes and that's exactly what I did.  I did feel a little bit of tugging where the scar tissue has been, at the very end of the run, but not twinging.  No twinging for two runs when I was building mileage!  I feel like I've had a really good building week, so next week will be a step back.  That's not what's on the schedule, but I feel like stepping back is the right thing to do after this week.  Remember, the training schedule is more guidelines than rules.


The rest of the day was spent foam rolling, icing, and post-run yoga.  Between the yoga I did before my run to loosen up my hips, and the post-run yoga, I did 40 minutes total on Saturday.  If it helps my morning runs, I'll continue to do it, even at Disneyland when it's time for Tink.   I'll have to memorize a good routine so I can complete it in the room before leaving for the start line.


Saturday night my friends and I went to our favorite painting place, and I chose this really cute picture of a penguin.  I did change a couple of things, but that's what's so great about this place.  You can choose what you want to do, and make any changes you want.  I needed another painting to go in my office at work, and this one should be perfect.

To wrap up Sunday, after Pure Barre, I hit the grocery store to finish off the errands, and I wound up with another box of Girl Scout Cookies.  I swear they jumped into my hands before I knew it ;-)  So that's a total of 7 GSC boxes this year, much more than the last couple years put together.  Oops.  And no weekend is complete without extra snuggles from Allie.  She and I hunkered down to watch the Disneyland special on ABC.


Weekly Wrap-up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin.

*****

Monday: chiro visit, yoga

Tuesday: strength training, quick yoga

Wednesday: 5k, post-run yoga

Thursday: strength training, quick yoga

Friday: yoga

Saturday: pre-run yoga, 40 minutes (3.16 miles), post-run yoga

Sunday: Pure Barre, yoga

28 comments:

  1. Yay for a couple runs without pain! And it sounds smart to take a cut back week. I love that photo of your cat :) We watched some of hte Disneyland special and I really enjoyed the parts I caught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie loves to snuggle, so when I hunker down, she takes advantage. I enjoyed watching the special, though I didn't watch all of it.

      Delete
  2. My hips are perpetually tight! When I work with my coach, a lot of what she does focuses on my glutes and hips. It's a runner thing.

    I officially do yoga 1-2x/week but I incorporate a lot of yoga stretches into my recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when i switched from soccer, I thought some stability muscles. I'm trying to build them up again.

      Delete
  3. Most of my yoga routines are 5-10 minutes, and then when I have time I'll do 30, so you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do 30 minutes on my active-rest days, then I'm trying smaller routines to keep up with stretching.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. When I saw it as an example, I really wanted to paint it!

      Delete
  5. I am happy you had such a great run!

    What a cute painting! :) It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt good to have a week of good runs, and both building days.

      Delete
  6. I am SO over virtual races, HOWEVER, I would love to do a marathon or half one this summer just to challenge myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I signed up solely for the medal. I don't normally do that, but I couldn't resist BB8.

      Delete
  7. Yay for the great run! It's nice to have those every now and then to remind us how great all the training we put in will make race day feel, right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely made me feel good, and cutting back is the smart decision after such a good week.

      Delete
  8. Great runs are THE BEST! Sounds like all the yoga and stretching have been helping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I'm really making yoga a priority, and doing it al home helps a lot.

      Delete
  9. You were on top of the yoga game last week. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the first time I've done yoga every day, but if it's helping, I'll keep doing it.

      Delete
  10. I love your painting! How cute is that. We use to have a Painting with a twist near me and I did a couple paintings there. They make it look so easy don't they! I hate that they left! Thanks Lesley for linking up with us in the Weekly Wrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The head of this studio started at Painting with a Twist, then started her own studio.

      Delete
  11. A BB8 Medal?! How cute is that! Love it! Your penguin picture is adorable. Loved the Disneyland 60th special, too! Great job with your workouts/running this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't pass up a BB8 medal. Since I needed to do 40 minutes Saturday, I figured why not.

      Delete
  12. Nice job with all that yoga! Glad you had some good runs this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying all the different yoga routines, and I think smaller, more frequent ones is the way to go.

      Delete
  13. Lesley, how wonderful you had two great runs this week! You are wise to step back this week. I chose the 10k for my virtual run and ended up doing it Sunday as part of my long run. I hope the medal doesn't disappoint! I haven't gotten any GS cookies, because I haven't seen any. It's just a matter of time. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered cookies from a friend's youngest, but the extra box was unplanned.

      Delete
  14. Hooray for a couple of runs without pain! I think it's smart of you to do a step back week. I actually have one every third week in my ultra training because my shins are injury-prone. Definitely important to let your body recover before you build up more during training!

    I've always wanted to go to one of those painting events/places. Maybe some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The past two weeks have been building weeks, and I think three weeks of building would be too much. I feel good about taking it easy this week after such a great week last week.

      Delete