Friday, February 19, 2016

Dallas Favorites

Last week I had to get new license plates for my car because Texas requires it every 7 years.  Some sort of fraud prevention.  I was grumbling about it because I had my last license plate memorized and trying to learn this one turned into P Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.  But then I realized, I've been here almost 7 years!  When did that happen?  So much stuff has happened.


1) I got back into shape.  I let myself get out of shape with my first job, which I think happens to a lot of people.  You're learning a new routine after college, and the gym may not be a priority after a while.  I was good for the first summer and fall, but when winter set in, I stayed in bed more since it was cold outside.  After I got back into shape, I found this whole long distance running thing.

2) I got my job, and it's the same job I have now.  After a few months of hardwork, I landed this job through a temping agency, then went permanent a few months after that. 


3) I got Allie.  She's my furkid and my family.  She can be cuddly, feisty, and rambunctious.  She sleeps plastered up against me so I have to find ways to get comfy on a sliver of the bed while she had the rest of the bed, but doesn't use it.  Just this morning I woke up with her curled up tightly against me and I had to shift, but without disturbing her.

4) I found a great group of friends in the supporters' groups at FC Dallas and the Allen Americans.  Some of us support both teams and we're a fun bunch.


5) I got certified last year!  It was a couple years in the making but that's why I was at Disney World last March, for a review session at our spring conference, then I sat for the exam in September.  After 5 (!) weeks of impatiently waiting, I found my name in the database and screamed!  Allie went running and probably thought the human's finally gone crazy.

Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!  

14 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how a lot can change in only a few years. What did you get certified in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work on the financial side of research grants and I took the finance certification.

      Delete
  2. Ok dumb question-what did you get certified in? I was going to congratulate you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a certified financial research administrator now. Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it's been a great few years for you! Your cat is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she's got great markings on her fur. It was the first thing I noticed about her.

      Delete
  4. Congrats Lesley, nice to meet you via the Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chester used to sleep plastered to me; Gizmo stopped sleeping with us when we got Chester (although that didn't deter his late brother Simba); Lola curls up between our pillows and we actually have bed space!

    We've been here just about 7 years, too.

    I started running, I've run a bunch of halfs, I've met a lot of new people, I got down to my goal weight, and we went from 4 furkids to 2. :(

    Congrats on being certified!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a little bit to get used to Allie sleeping against me, and now I can't really sleep without her there. Just this small ball of fur.

      Delete
  6. One of our small dogs curls up next to me. Congratulations on your finance certification. It sounds like you are enjoying Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much. I was so happy I made it work because I didn't want to go back to Boston.

      Delete
  7. New license plates every 7 years?!? That sounds like a bit of a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say it's to protect against counterfeit license plates, but I'm sure it's more about the extra money for the state.

      Delete