Friday, January 22, 2016

Winter Storm Jonas

As the first winter storm heads towards the eastern seaboard, my thoughts are with everyone who is getting slammed with it.  Stay safe and warm, and hopefully the infrastructure doesn't blow and y'all can keep your heat up.  I thought I'd write a fun post about what it was like living in Boston during nor-easters, for 12 years.  I have to say I don't miss it.

1) People panic.  I know people are beyond panicking with this storm because reports have already come out about the grocery stores.  A friend in DC said there was a line to get IN to Trader Joe's Wednesday afternoon, not just to pay for the groceries.


2) I never understood the bread, milk, and toilet paper.  I'd be heading for the alcohol section of the store.  If I'm not going anywhere, I'd stock up on wine.  If the power goes out, the wine will keep me warm.

3) If the power does go out, put the wine bottles outside to chill.  The snow, or just plain cold, does a good job, and you don't have to worry about opening the fridge door.  Even when there was no storm, my parents would put the wine outside to chill quickly before dinner, whether it was in the garage or on the back patio.


4) Movies!  DVDs, Netflix, streaming, whatever.  If you have to hunker down for a while, movies and TV shows can be a great thing, just spread it out.  The last time I went on a TV show binge, I got a raging headache.  sometimes I'll even pop in a workout DVD to help with cabin fever.


5) Tropical music.  I've done this one living in Dallas.  When we hosted the Super Bowl in 2011, we got an ice storm that Monday night and the rest of the week was pure ice.  There was no melting, no progress whatsoever, and my work was closed.  I couldn't go anywhere for 4 days, and when I got the alert that I was in for a third day (on the second afternoon), I popped in a Jimmy Buffett DVD so I could hear, and see, the tropics.


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?! 

16 comments:

  1. I say drink a bottle of wine and then WATCH the workout. That would be hilarious :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I've never done that but that would shake things up :)

      Delete
  2. LOL, as long as you have the wine, who cares what is going outside, rght, LOL
    It's funny, I live in Utah and out west we always see the warnings and stuff for storms back east and it's kind of a laugh that everyone there runs to the stores cleans out the shelves, LOL You don't see that here, maybe its because it's ingrained in our brains in our youth to be prepared for anything at anytime and keep storage and 48 hour kids and stuff. But Seriously, we get a blizzard warning here, and your still out playing and doing everything like normal, if anything it's extra reason to break out the 4 wheelers lOL. But we do enjoy watching the news and seeing all the crazy back east. (As long as they all stay safe, that's all that matters.) Well that and as you put it, they have plenty of wine if they drink:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom commented on that. When they get snow in CO, everyone waits, then get their 4-wheel drive cars up to the ski resorts. It's definitely a different mentality in the Rockies.

      Delete
  3. I like your last tip!! That sounds like a great way to warm up to me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have music and DVDs if I need help with cabin fever. I like one snow day, but ice storms normally mean multiple days, in a row, when I can't get out.

      Delete
  4. Let us remember that the line for Trader Joe's is usually wrapped around the store and all the way up the frozen aisle, even on a random summer day. I can't shop at the one by my apartment anymore because it makes me crazy haha! We haven't seen ANY snow here this winter so while the snow is welcome, a full on blizzard is a little much. Boston does always seem to get so much snow -- I'm glad you survived the long winters and are now in a warmer place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still gets cold, and when we get ice or snow, no one knows how to deal with it. But we're the south. I see more and more panic in the northeast, but it snows every year there.

      Delete
  5. People go crazy when there is forecast of snow in the future. We are not suppose to be getting too much here in Central Pa. The grocery store wasn't too bad but the liquor store had more of a line when I went to get some wine tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which makes sense to me. I don't get the toilet paper, bread, and milk. Especially the milk. If power goes out, the milk would have to go outside.

      Delete
  6. The snow and cold weather definitely make a great back up refrigerator. If we loose power (we've had two scares this morning with the power going out for 5-10 minutes), then we'll be moving the essentials to a cooler and putting the cooler in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed you don't lose power. You've got your little man now.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. All I need is wine, or margaritas :)

      Delete
  8. The main difference between places like DC and places like CO is that we get such little snow annually that it's not budgeted for a huge snow removal. So our infrastructure simply isn't able to handle over two feet of snow - which is what we got here. Also, unlike CO, it's still very very cold and so everything is turning to ice, which is a big problem anywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hear you on the ice. That always gets us in North Texas. It freezes and takes days to melt, so no one goes anywhere, if they can help it. Yes I grew up driving in snow, but ice is completely different.

      Delete