1) People panic. I know people are beyond panicking with this storm because reports have already come out about the grocery stores. A friend in DC said there was a line to get IN to Trader Joe's Wednesday afternoon, not just to pay for the groceries.
2) I never understood the bread, milk, and toilet paper. I'd be heading for the alcohol section of the store. If I'm not going anywhere, I'd stock up on wine. If the power goes out, the wine will keep me warm.
3) If the power does go out, put the wine bottles outside to chill. The snow, or just plain cold, does a good job, and you don't have to worry about opening the fridge door. Even when there was no storm, my parents would put the wine outside to chill quickly before dinner, whether it was in the garage or on the back patio.
4) Movies! DVDs, Netflix, streaming, whatever. If you have to hunker down for a while, movies and TV shows can be a great thing, just spread it out. The last time I went on a TV show binge, I got a raging headache. sometimes I'll even pop in a workout DVD to help with cabin fever.
5) Tropical music. I've done this one living in Dallas. When we hosted the Super Bowl in 2011, we got an ice storm that Monday night and the rest of the week was pure ice. There was no melting, no progress whatsoever, and my work was closed. I couldn't go anywhere for 4 days, and when I got the alert that I was in for a third day (on the second afternoon), I popped in a Jimmy Buffett DVD so I could hear, and see, the tropics.
Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DC, Mar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!