Tuesday, January 26, 2016

TOTR: Oldies but Goodies

Today's theme is running gear I'd buy again.  I haven't really ever had a bad experience with something, so most of what I own would be repeat buys.

First, 100 days till Disneyland!  I wondered how long I had and tracked it out on Sunday.


OK, back to the topic.  I still own my Under Armour gear that I bought my first year in college, in 2003!  They're the very same ones I bought that year and they're still going strong.  Since I played a spring sport, and college spring sports start in winter, I needed high quality winter gear that would keep me warm outside.  I didn't need all of that in high school since pre-season would start in mid-March, and even then we'd be inside if administrators deemed it too cold.  Not so in college.  My coach went to Middlebury, so we knew we couldn't complain.

Shoes are always a must, and so is going to get fitted.  I wore whatever I wanted to wear before I started this whole running thing, and I'm sure my feet are happy I'm now wearing what I should've been wearing.  No wonder I had so many mechanical issues in high school, like tendinitis in my ankles to my knees.  The trick with shoes is when companies decide to change things up on people instead of sticking to what is actually working (see ASICS GT-2000 #1). 


On a side note, to flip things around, I'm not sure I would get Yurbuds again.  They've been fine, until the ear pieces started getting loose.  Readers might remember I lost an ear piece, probably in the portapotty, before my 5k last October.  When I went to get a replacement pair, the website was out.  I know my next headphones will be something different.

Tuesdays on the Run with Patty, Erika, and Marcia.

14 comments:

  1. When I ran with music, I loved my yurbuds! They had really good customer service, too. Maybe you should email them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could try that. There are other models I want to try, and get away from in the ear ones. The sound's great but after a while my ears are tired of the earbuds.

      Delete
  2. Before I started running I chose shoes on style and not functionality. I have SO learned not to do that now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I also decided based on color and nothing else. My old town has a LRS but i never used them.

      Delete
  3. Only because I was raised by a really good marathon runner, is the reason I have always bought the right shoes, instead of the wrong ones. But I do remember as a teen an argument because I wanted pink Nike's like my friends running shoes, and my dad wouldn't let me get them because they weren't real running shoes. I bought the orange ones instead, but it took a few years to actually get it. I am glad he wouldn't let me go for style back then, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad tried but I was beyond stubborn. Thankfully I wasn't running big distances, but I needed special orthotics since the shoes were not made for my running style.

      Delete
  4. Its awesome that your UA gear has lasted this long!! I do like my yurbuds but only run with music occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always run with music. It helps me zone out and unwind when I'm running. Not always the best when I'm outside, but I need to blow of steam. a lot of the time.

      Delete
  5. I had the same issue with my Yurbuds. They sort of stretched out over time then kept falling off until I lost one. I ended up replacing them but the tone quality is not as good. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They keep falling off in the pouch too. I have to keep them in the pouch, otherwise my cat would chew the cords and snip them.

      Delete
  6. I've seen lots of posts mentioning UA! I might have to get some to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outlet! I've already started seeing winter clothing sales at REI, so outlets should be getting some good gear. Mine has lasted so long and not showing its age.

      Delete
  7. I love the sound quality and fit of the Yurbuds, but you are right! The buds start falling off after a while. So far, I've found mine every time. I still have some old UA stuff too. Good brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky, until the port-a-potty. I'm pretty sure that's where I lost the ear bud and I didn't want to go back for it. Ew.

      Delete