Friday, January 8, 2016

Talk about Citrus

Today's Friday Five theme is food, which is good timing because I read an article (but didn't save the link), about how citrus can help deal with seasonal depression.  I don't have seasonal depression, but I do have seasonal something.  It's difficult to stay up when it's been dark for so long and my body's clock is telling me it's time to start winding down for bed.  It could be 8 and I still get that signal.  Nope.


Even though it's winter, there's still plenty of choices for citrus at the grocery store, and two of my favorites are the clementines.  They're easy to peel and eat, so I love when I start seeing the halos in the grocery stores.

I label some recipes as summer recipes, but there are some good light dishes that could still be served in the winter to change things up from the heavy dishes.  I find shrimp and pasta dishes are good to serve with citrus as well.  I'll also make fish tacos for an easy mid-week recipe since the recipe calls for limes.
 
Salads are also a good way to mix things up, between grapefruit, blood oranges, and lemons.  I don't eat lemons, but I use them in viniagrettes, and their zest adds a good refreshing pop.  And thankfully, I can find lots of citrus year round if I do need help with my SAD.


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?! 

4 comments:

  1. I love a good hint of citrus in a dish! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it so refreshing, and if citrus isn't in a dish, and I have fruit available, that'll be my fruit/veggie side.

      Delete
  2. sadly I'm allergic to oranges so none of those for me but I love lemons and could absolutely live on grapefruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love grapefruit! It's so abundant in Texas and I can get it year round :)

      Delete