Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Running in the Cold

I got new running capris late last week!  They're the ones I bought with a UA gift card from my cousin, which covered most of it since the capris were on sale.  Under Armour has a slightly new design for the line, so the old line is discounted.  Bonus!  But I couldn't use them this weekend on my run :-(  A front came through Friday night, but when I woke up Saturday morning, I couldn't bring myself to use the treadmill.  It was gray, it was windy, but it wasn't as cold as I thought it was going to be.  43, felt like 37.  I know it was crazy of me, and completely out of character, but even thinking about the treadmill made me dread it.  Sometimes I have to get outside, and I hadn't run outside since before Christmas.


I had 4 layers on the top, and my heavy winter running tights, with compression calf sleeves on the bottom.  My running tights aren't compression, so my calf sleeves fit, underneath which is important right now.  I'm trying to loosen up my muscles with pre-run yoga and work on relaxing while running, but my calves still get tight.  Gotta do what I gotta do.  My layers up top was a base layer winter long sleeve shirt, my WDW half marathon long sleeve shirt, a running vest, and a windbreaker.  Since I was on the track, I knew I could take off layers if I needed to, but I ended up not needing to.  The wind was rather strong, and I did find out I need a better winter hat, which I think I've found.  Oiselle has a winter beanie with a ponytail hole in the back.  Simple yet so brilliant!  Right now I use a winter headband for my ears, but it is a little loose, which makes for really cold ears.


In other running news, I saw a trailer for a movie I need to go see.  It's called Race, and it's about Jesse Owens and what he did at the Berlin Olympics.  I finally have a movie to see this year.  I don't want to see any of the Oscar nominees, and I thought it'd a while before I wanted to see a movie in the theater.


Tuesdays on the Run with Patty, Erika, and Marcia

 *****

 Monday: rest

Tuesday: strength training

Wednesday: 2.4 miles

Thursday: strength training

Friday: rest

Saturday: 2.25 miles

Sunday: Pure Barre

17 comments:

  1. I am happy you got to run outside! I am not even going to comment on all the clothes you had on for a run in the high 30s, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know... cold is in the eye of the beholder :-) Texas cold seems to be worse than what I dealt with in Boston though. Maybe because people think it doesn't get cold in Texas?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the trailer for the movie! I hadn't heard of it! Girl I feel you on the cold!! Hope you like the new hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ordered it yet since my birthday's this weekend, but afterwards, yes, I'll order it. If I keep getting cabin fever, I'll need it.

      Delete
  3. As I'm writing over and over today, it's 21 here but feels like 5 with the windchill. I'm still putting off getting the mail and I most definitely ran on the treadmill today!

    It will warm up, but then we might get our first real snowstorm of the year, which you really can't complain about considering it's almost the end of January, except of course it's the weekend we were going to go to my parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does call for the treadmill. Good luck with the snow. My parents have quite a bit in Colorado, and the ski resorts are loving it.

      Delete
  4. We've been having sub zero windchill and temps, so I'd love the 30's right now, hehe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Texas is lucky, but I've adapted to the extreme summers, so my tolerance for cold has slipped. I used to be quite good at handling it.

      Delete
  5. Cute capris! Our winter has finally arrived. He had beautiful weather up through December and now we are preparing for a huge snow storm ( so they say)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So they say. I know that feeling. They get us revved up for storms and possibly no school and work, then nothing. Good luck.

      Delete
  6. Gloves are the first thing I go looking for in cold weather! Did you wear gloves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do have gloves. I don't think they're running gloves, but they're from REI and they worked fine.

      Delete
  7. Like Kim above, all those layers make me smile. I've not heard of that movie....need to see! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it either but even a 30-second TV spot grabbed my attention. I want to go see it and not wait for Netflix.

      Delete
  8. The movie sounds great- and I'm a fan of layering too. But I heat up pretty quickly so it works best when I'm close to home to drop off layers as needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also heat up quickly, so if I am layered up, I need to stick with the track so I can shed if I have to, or keep close to my car. If I'm on a running route, I can stop by my car and put clothes in the trunk.

      Delete
  9. The movie sounds great- and I'm a fan of layering too. But I heat up pretty quickly so it works best when I'm close to home to drop off layers as needed!

    ReplyDelete