Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Race Dreams

Today's Tuesday on the Run is about race dreams.  I think most runners I know have had them.  They're not nice, that's for sure.  Normally they'll consist of a change in course, getting lost, forgetting something, not getting to the start line, not finishing, etc.  Our minds not only like to give us phantom pains leading up to a race, but these dreams also seep in.  How nice, right?


I had one of those dreams before the Princess half marathon.  I didn't dream about sleeping through my alarm or missing the starting line.  I dreamt the course was sooooo different, and that I got lost in the Magic Kingdom and couldn't get out.  The Magic Kingdom didn't look like the Magic Kingdom, but somehow I knew it was.  It was bizarre, and most of the time I want to dream as long as possible.  Not that time.  I was quite happy when I woke up.

Luckily I haven't had one in a while, and I think my mind did that because it was my first ever half marathon.  I can't remember exactly when in training I had this dream, but I know it was building up to my final long runs.  I don't think it was during the taper, which taper itself can bring on all sorts of anxiety.  I thought all this was supposed to be for fun :-P


Tuesdays on the Run with Patty, Erika, and Marcia.

14 comments:

  1. It is supposed to be fun -- and challenging, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very challenging when the mind starts playing games. Thankfully I've just had that one race dream.

      Delete
  2. My recurring running dream is always about getting lost; it's amazing that Disney hasn't invaded yet. I mean that's pretty much the only place I run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it invaded my dreams since I was concentrating so much on the course. Of course I'd get one where everything was so different.

      Delete
  3. Extended time in the Magic Kingdom would be fun in many cases but not when you're racing and not when you can't get out! Dreams are so weird sometimes. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't make sense either, and part of it was I was in line for the submarine voyage... What the heck did I eat that night?

      Delete
  4. I would LOVE to get lost in the Magic Kingdom!! Disney is on my bucket list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love MK, just not when I need to exit so I can continue the race :-p

      Delete
  5. I usually don't dream about the race the night before but I certainly don't sleep well. It's all those pre-race nerves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't sleep well either. I can get a lot of sleep in the week leading up to a race, but I sleep like crap the night before. Too much is going on in my head to calm down fully.

      Delete
  6. I love race dreams! I like the ones where I am winning and in the lead, and everyone is like "who is that girl" and I am feeling great and the feet are flying. I always wake up before I get to the finish though, LOL guess my mind wants to save the finish for a reality sometime, haha maybe:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mind doesn't want to jinx you! I haven't dreamed about the finish line at all, just during the race. The funny thing is I'm not out of breathe during my dreams.

      Delete
  7. Oh yes! Those crazy race dreams...I've had a few and I know what you mean when you say that you knew you were there but it didn't look the same - that's happened to me before too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so strange. My mind knows exactly what places like WDW look like, but decides to mess with me.

      Delete