Thursday, January 28, 2016

Pure Barre Platform Review

I decided to write a review on Pure Barre platform in case anyone out there attends Pure Barre, and is wondering what this insane looking workout is all about.  I'll admit, I had no intention of signing up for a platform class since I enjoy the regular classes so much, but that little voice in my head convinced me to try it at least once.  Oof.


Platform is more cardio than a regular class, all done with this little platform/stool that's used for basically every exercise.  The warm-up, class exercises, and wrap-up are all done using the platform.  I'd recommend a towel, not just if you're a sweaty person, but there are ridges on the platform.  My hands felt irritated because of the ridges, and we did a number of exercises on the ground, with our hands on the top of the platform.

Each exercise starts at normal speed, then pulses, then double-time.  It's the double-time that gets your heart rate up, and creates the cardio.  The issue, for me, was some of those exercises were tough enough at normal speed, let alone pulses.  I was trying to figure out how in the world I was going to double-time it, and the exercise was almost over by the time my brain wrapped around what I needed to do.  I felt like I lost a good chunk of time I could've used for strength training.

I honestly don't know if I'd do another platform class.  I go to Pure Barre for the strength training aspect, and I like the exercises in a regular class because I can focus on form and the proper way to strength train, and not be rushed.  When I'm not rushed, I can engage the muscle that I'm supposed to strength train.  I feel like that's the number one reason I've gotten the results I have from Pure Barre.  There's always some part of me that's sore the next day, and yoga feels so good.  I wasn't sore, not one bit, after platform.  Was I doing it right?  I know I can sign up for another platform class if I want to, but I know that'll be very much in the future.


10 comments:

  1. Hmmm that's odd you weren't sore at all. I've never heard of this Platform version of Pure Barre before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was half expecting not being able to move the next day because I was struggling with some of the exercises. I was shocked that I wasn't sore.

      Delete
  2. That I know of none of our gyms in our area offer Pure Barre. I have heard many people talking about it and I can assure you I'd be so sore! It does sound like a great workout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always sore somewhere after the regular classes. Since that's what I'm looking for, I'll stick with those instead of platform.

      Delete
  3. This sounds hard! Good for you for giving it a try, and now at least you know that you prefer to stick with the regular classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I felt last weekend was the perfect time to go for the first time. There were other first-timers too so I wasn't the only one.

      Delete
  4. This is a super helpful review! My Pure Barre studio does not yet offer the platform classes, but I've been really curious what they are like. I think I would prefer the regular classes, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I wanted to write this to help those who were curious. I couldn't find anything about it so I went in to the class not knowing anything.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the review. I have attended two platform classes now. The 2nd one was better. I think like any other new fitness class,you won't get it right the first time. And even in normal Pure Barre classes, I notice I am not as sore if my form wasn't correct. I would give it a couple more tries before deciding it's not for you. I think I may try to add a platform class once a week to my normal barre routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll sign up for Platform at some point again. I enjoy the regular classes, which are a challenge by themselves.

      Delete