Thursday, January 21, 2016

Obscure Disney History

Over the long weekend, I started and finished a mystery in the Maggie Hope series.  While the author is now adding a lot of storylines that have nothing to do with the actual mystery, making it frustrating to read, this book contained one storyline that I found fascinating.  A little bit of obscure Disney history.  One of the characters is based on Roald Dahl, the children's author, and him starting to work with the Disney company to produce wartime propaganda.  From the author's note, Dahl wrote his first children's story for Disney, and it was serialized in Cosmopolitan (I'm assuming back when it wasn't what is it today).  The story was about Gremlins, and how they can wreak havoc on RAF pilots.

Quick break back to Christmas, when my mom got a jacket at Disneyland with a Disney gremlin on one of the patches.  Fifinella.  She became the mascot of the WASPs when they asked Disney for permission to use her image officially and he granted them the rights to her.  Fifinella was the group of female gremlins created by Dahl and drawn by Disney, but the female character was given the name Fifinella, for Fif.


Which got me thinking about a potential running costume for Tink, but I don't think I could manage it.  The wings make the gremlin, but how am I going to get wings like that?  It's already difficult enough to get a red running top without any writing on it.  I could do red top, red skirt, yellow compression sleeves, and somehow get flying goggles, but the wings would be very difficult, and I have zero creative ability.

And did anyone see rD released pictures of the Tink weekend medals.  The 10k medal is the same, but now I know what I'm going after :-)





Thinking Out Loud with Amanda.

6 comments:

  1. This is interesting. I wonder how many people would be able to make the connection between this and your costume if you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I didn't even know the character existed until I saw my mom's jacket.

      Delete
  2. I love this costume idea!! :) The tink medals are really neat, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it'd be fun, but I'm not creative at all. I'll stick with running gear and maybe get a running shirt that fits the theme.

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty excited--I think I am going to Disney for the very first time ever during our vacation this April, which also happens to be my birthday week!
    And love the costume idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun! I always have a great time at Disney.

      Delete