Monday, January 4, 2016

Monday Musings 1/4

I'm back, not only from my break, but I'm back at work (boo!).  Let's see how today goes, shall we?


I went up to Colorado for Christmas, and even though my parents said the temps in Boulder were in the 30s, which isn't bad, I think I made the temps drop.  Once I got there (after a bumpy flight, oof), the temps fell into the 20s, and it was windy when we were on Pearl Street Christmas Eve morning.  This Texan certainly didn't enjoy that.  I was bundled up and was still cold when the wind came whipping down the street.  I may have uttered a choice word when that happened.  I can handle cold, but I've adjusted to Texas summers so my tolerance for more bitter cold temps isn't what it was.


Christmas was SO much better than last year.  Readers will remember everyone in my immediate family got the ultra-flu bug and it was awful.  It took me more than a week to fully recover.  I'm happy to report no one got sick this year :)  I got some great gifts this year, but the biggest surprise was my parents gave me my Disneyland pass for Tink!  I had been planning on buying it in March, but they were at Disneyland earlier in December and got me a 3-day pass.  OMG!  I got choked up a little bit.


After Christmas day, we headed up to the mountains, where it was even colder.  We did some snow shoeing since I don't ski or snow board, and I was fine with the cardio and movement since that allowed me to warm up a little bit.  My last day, the temp was 14!  Yeah, that's really cold for me.  I was happy to get back to Texas.  I picked Allie up from the vet, and once I got her home, she scolded me to the point where her mew sounded hoarse.  Ha!  It was kind of cute, and she kept fussing at me.


New Year's Eve was interesting.  My car wouldn't start, so friends came and got me for the house party we were going to.  We the Stars game on, then we played different card games.  Those of us who aren't fans of Cards Against Humanity played Exploding Kittens.  It was my first time playing EK and I won twice!  All of us saw midnight, shockingly.  I really do have the sleep schedule of an old lady.  I fell asleep after 2 and was awake at 7:30.  That's OK, since I got Triple A in, who started my car and made me feel foolish, then I drove it to Firestone, where they checked the system, which looked fine, and tested the battery, which tested low.  I got that replaced, so I'll see how that goes.  That particular battery had been weird since I got it last January so hopefully this new one will give me peace of mind.

Since I missed some of the Rose Parade waiting on Firestone, I recorded the entire parade on HGTV since it doesn't have commercials.  Anybody else include the Rose Parade as part of their New Year's Day tradition?  There are so many great floats, but my favorite was a fire-breathing dragon.  My mom and I like dragons and they had this one with pyrotechnics so it could breath fire.  Cool!  There were so many great floats, and Allen HS represented Texas for high school bands.


And did I do any workouts?  Well, once in Boulder, but not in Grand Lake.  I feel in shape in Boulder, so I did 30 minutes on the treadmill.  I feel more out of breathe in Grand Lake, so I only did the snow shoeing.  My first run after I got back is always less than desired, but I go that out of the way and did some strength training New Year's Eve day.  New Year's Day had me sore, but it's always the good kind of sore.  Then Pure Barre on Sunday, so I'm back on schedule.  I had my first acoustic wave therapy session, which was quick and rather painless.  When it got to the scar tissue, it felt quite tender as the waves started breaking up the tissue.  My hip was out of alignment, so my chiro corrected that.  I think that was due to being tense while traveling because I'm not a good flyer.


Weekly Wrap-up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin.

20 comments:

  1. What a fun holiday! Happy New Year!

    I bought Exploding Kittens (the NSFW version, lol) and have yet to play it! I should bring it to my family celebration in a few weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had both, but only played the safe for work since the NSFW wasn't opened yet. It was easy to pick up and was pretty fun.

      Delete
  2. Snow shoeing, I am totally jealous! That is one of my favorite things to do in the winter, I am hoping maybe next month I can get some in.
    So fun you got to go visit family and spend the holiday's with them, very awesome Christmas present too!!!
    We've had very few days in the past few weeks that have warmed up higher than the teens and some days in the negatives, so I get ya with the cold. Although yesterday it got into the low 20's and I was like yay it felt like spring, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear it's "warming up" in Grand Lake, though it'd still be too cold for me. At least I got warm snow shoeing. They turn the golf course into a cross-country winter course.

      Delete
  3. Yay for getting your DL pass! That is awesome and I bet getting you super excited for your trip!
    So sorry you experienced so much cold over Christmas! We were actually wearing shorts over here on the East Coast. I couldn't believe how warm it was. Of course all that has changed now!-M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think fronts have come in everywhere. Texas was pretty warm for December too, but a strong front moved in when I was in Colorado. Now it's more normal.

      Delete
  4. So glad no one got sick this year!! Yay for DL passes! Sounds like you had a great Christmas!! I'm with you - 14° is waaaaay too cold!! Brrrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too cold! I wore layers inside and outside. I know I used to live in the cold, but I've adjusted so I can deal with summers down here.

      Delete
  5. I've never played Exploding Kittens but I keep hearing so much about the game! Will have to check it out soon. You had a fantastic week! YAY for your Disneyland pass during Tinkerbell! I am super excited for you - you are going to have a BLAST!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I was going to buy the pass but my parents surprised me with it. I think I have everything I need now, except booking the shuttle from the airport.

      Delete
  6. I always feel like my body is such a mess after I travel. Sounds like a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is I felt out of alignment the last day. Well, I was. I feel like I'm working my way back into my routine and it's feeling better.

      Delete
  7. I have never tried snow shoeing. It sounds fun and would guess it's a great workout too. How awesome to receive a 3 day pass for Disneyland and Tinkerbell. I like that skirt too! I'm glad to hear everyone stayed well and you enjoyed your New Year's celebration. Thanks for linking Lesley and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the skirt! There's so much more color in the design than what I could see online. It's really fun.

      Delete
  8. That is really cold for a Texan! I really want to try snow shoeing -- seems so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way too cold! I wore so many layers while snow shoeing and only started over heating at the very end. It's fun to do since I don't do the main winter activities.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great vacation! Glad you could enjoy it without getting sick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the goal. I felt like I might have been coming down with a cold the week before, so I started pounding Airborne and Emergen-C like crazy. It seemed to work.

      Delete
  10. Ok I'm so out of the loop on these, snow shoeing and exploding kittens, I don't have a clue.... however I'd totally try the skiing. I too get cold when it's in the 40's anything below that is just miserable! I can't tell you the last time I watch the Rose parade on TV. Maybe one day I can see it live. The dragon does look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a long term goal of mine, be in Pasadena for the Rose Parade. I don't care about the game, just the parade.

      Delete