Monday, January 25, 2016

Monday Musings 1/25

Training officially started this weekend.  I'm loosely following Jeff Galloway's 10k training program for my long runs, but keeping my week workouts the same as my past schedule.  I know I need to strength train 2 days during the week instead of 1, so I'm using the long run numbers as my guide.  2 miles done, both for the training and because my scar tissue is annoying.  Since my chiro and I are messing with it (and from what he tells me, making progress), it is rearing up.  But I've decided to try to push through smartly since it's not my IT band.


Yesterday was my birthday, and I celebrated early at work when my coworkers got a Nothing Bundt Cake, and I bought kolaches Friday morning.  That bakery is one of the best!  I can smell the kolaches and cinnamon rolls in the parking lot - I don't even have to open the door in order to smell what they're baking.  Hmmmm :-)  Saturday I treated my feet to a much needed pedicure, yup, right when training started.  But my feet really needed the attention, so I did lose my calluses, but they'll build up again.


Sunday was my first class of Pure Barre platform.  I don't know why.  I saw the previews, I saw how sweaty people were, coming out of the workout room while I was waiting for regular PB.  But I decided to go ahead and try it.  On my birthday.  It turned out to be not that bad, but I don't know if/when I'll sign up for another class.  I enjoy the regular classes more, but platform would be a good change whenever I wanted something different.


The one downside to this weekend is I'm coming down with a cold.  I got a tickle in my throat that turned into a cough, so I'm on cough drops and cough medicine to try to deal with it.  I'm not one to sit and let a cold dictate what I do, but sometimes I have to cry uncle.  Let's see what happens and if I can keep going.  My colds are always head colds, so thankfully I don't really deal with chest congestion, but I do have that out of breath feeling that comes with my colds :-/


Weekly Wrap-up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin.

*****

Monday: yoga

Tuesday: strength training

Wednesday: rest

Thursday: strength training

Friday: rest

Saturday: 2 miles <--- officially in training!

Sunday: Pure Barre platform 

16 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! Love that Oiselle shirt! Got the same one for Christmas. Hope your cold goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend. I know the description said a base layer, but I bought it to go above my base layer.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! I wish you a speedy recovery from your cold! Pure Barre Platform sounds intense. The non-platform classes are certainly plenty challenging! Yay for a pedicure, such a great way to treat yourself. Kolaches and cinnamon rolls, YUMMYYYYYYYYYY.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was different, and I'm still not sure if I liked it. I didn't feel sore yesterday, and I'm usually always sore after PB.

      Delete
  3. Happy late birthday! I'm so glad to hear your IT band isn't acting up. That makes training SO hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it's not the ITB either. I'm working so hard to make sure that doesn't rear its ugly head again.

      Delete
  4. Well Happy Birthday! Sounded like you had a good day, I so need a pedi bad! I hate to hear you sick, I do hope you'll get over it very quickly, I hate a dang cold. The cough is always the last thing to leave! Thanks so much for your continued support in our Weekly Wrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my cough doesn't hang around, I still have to clear my throat. I'm trying to space out the cough drops because after a while, I can't stand them.

      Delete
  5. I don't get a lot of colds, but when I do, they tend to really wipe me out. Here's hoping you can knock it out quickly!

    Happy Birthday! Kolaches -- yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate feeling so out of breathe, but I run! I'm in shape. It's just a yucky feeling all around.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday, Lesley! Nothing Bundt Cake is such a clever name. I hope you enjoyed your treat. Congrats on your first week of training. That's always exciting. With my foot injury, it feels like years since I've had a pedicure. I should treat myself. Thanks for linking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of them until moving here. The cakes are delicious! I got a gingerbread one for Christmas eve in Boulder, yum!

      Delete
  7. Happy belated birthday! Hope that cold goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm working on the cold and hopefully won't last long. It's always frustrating with a cold because I don't feel sick sick.

      Delete
  8. Happy belated birthday, Lesly! I hope you're feeling better. I think the last time I got a pedicure was for my wedding - and I got mad at the lady for smoothing down my calluses! I was like hey, I worked hard for those! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never felt this place files them down completely, but I do say something if I want to keep them in tact. I did want some smoothing out because it'd been a while, but I am feeling the tenderness now with training.

      Delete