Tuesday, December 15, 2015

That DNS

Today's Tuesday on the Run is the dreaded DNS or DNF.  Long time readers will know, I had a dreaded DNS back in 2013.  I'd signed up for a 10k that took place about 1.5 months after the Eugene half marathon, and I'd signed up for it before my leg blew up during the last 5k of Eugene.  That March was when I got hit with ITBS, but I was able to train through it and arrive at the starting line in Eugene.  My 10-mile training run went pretty well, and recovery was good too.  But the last 5k destroyed my leg and set me on a path of recovery that I'm still on the comeback trail.


The 10k was part of a half marathon and 10k series, benefiting Wound Warrior.  As my leg was not healing after my half, I had to make the difficult decision to not run.  I didn't even pick up my packet.  I did go to cheer on runners since my cousin and her husband were both running it.  I figured if I couldn't run it with them, I could support them.  I got up early that day and drove down to Irving, where the races were delayed more than hour because we had quite the thunder storm hit right before they were going to start.

Thankfully I found some shelter, but it was still outside since no buildings were open, and it was cold.  This wasn't a warm June thunderstorm.  The front came through before the storm and temps dropped.  I stayed through the whole thing, from storms and delays to runners actually starting, and meeting my friends at the finish line.  I was still so frustrated that I had to DNS, and I haven't been able to try the 10k again.  One day, I'm determined to start and complete it.




Tuesdays on the Run with Patty, Erika, and Marcia

16 comments:

  1. Good on you for going to support your friends. That's tough to do sometimes when we're injured. I hope you get to do it again someday. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still wanted to go, but it was a weird morning with the rain delay.

      Delete
  2. Sorry that you had to miss a race! Hopefully that won't happen again. Injuries are never fun, and neither is missing out on a race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was the right decision, but it hit my ego pretty hard nonetheless.

      Delete
  3. It's a small world, after all! I was at that 10K Leslie! Ran it with my hubby. It was a mess, though. You made the right call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even sitting around under shelter, it was a mess. I was very happy when everyone was done and we all left.

      Delete
  4. I hope you do get to one day run that race!
    That was nice of you though to go support and cheer others on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never made it to the starting line to cheer on the runners because of the rain. I hung around the finish line once the rain passed through.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear that you didn't get to run the race. Hope you get to do it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my eye on it since I know when it's on the race calendar. Some day.

      Delete
  6. You are such a good friend to still go support others and spectate even when you weren't able to run yourself. Cheers to you on being able to complete your own 10K VERY SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, fingers crossed. I need to do some work before training starts and hopefully it'll go smoothly.

      Delete
  7. I've had a few DNSs due to injury. Its always a tough call to make but usually the right one. Glad you were still able to get our there and spectate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the right call but I feel lousy after I make the decision. It's responsible but sometimes I don't want to be responsible.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I'm biding my time on that one. I want to be 100% before I attempt it again.

      Delete