Tuesday, December 22, 2015

2015 in Review

I can't believe the year is almost over, and it'll be 2016.  Wait what?  2015 was certainly interesting, and lots of stuff happened, both running and non-running.  Due to my injury, I didn't have any goals this year except to make progress.  It's hard to set goals when I have no idea what I can do.  I'm happy that I did make progress and knocked off 2 5k's in the fall.


Progress was slow at the beginning of the year, in part I was still focusing on keeping my ITB loose by using the lacrosse ball, but I also didn't want to dive head first into a running program and hurt myself again.  If I had to sum up 2015 running with one word, it'd be patience.  That's not a virtue I possess, but I needed to be patient this year.  I was running between 1-2 miles in the spring, then was able to start building towards 3 when I switched back to Asics.  I didn't have anything against my Brooks, but it didn't feel like that perfect fit I was looking for.


At the same time, I started going to Pure Barre after reading about the classes on Courtney's blog.  I was constantly looking out for new strength training, and in the spring I started thinking about leaving PT.  But before I did that, I needed to find programs I could turn to to fill the void.  I loved Pure Barre at my very first class.  It targets all my weaknesses and I love challenge.  I've done so many different exercises between all the classes, and I can feel myself getting stronger.  Between that and keeping my ITB loose, I hope to continue making progress.


The 5k's brought to light the potential scar tissue I have on a nerve at the base of my ITB, so that's my first goal for 2016.  I'm waiting to start acoustic wave therapy, and I'm working the tender spot with my trusty lacrosse ball.  I'm probably taking a break from running while I'm in Colorado, so January will have some good stuff coming.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia

14 comments:

  1. What a great year! I hope you'll be injury free in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I have a 10k to look forward to.

      Delete
  2. Glad you have been able to overcome your injury and figure out some ways to stay strong and healthy. Looking forward to seeing what 2016 brings for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly but surely. It's progress and that's what I want.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on patience being a big word for the year. I'm not the most patient, either, but I've learned that sometimes you have no choice! Cheers to a strong 2015 and an even stronger 2016 still to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I had no choice. Mostly because I don't want to regress due to not being careful.

      Delete
  4. I look forward to your full recovery...I know it isn't easy but you've been working super hard to get back at it, kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! I've had to be careful and patient, which isn't easy. I like to go go go.

      Delete
  5. Here's to a healthy full recovery in the New Year. I have never took a Pure Barre class. They are non in our small town where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do sell DVDs. It targets everything I need to work on.

      Delete
  6. I wold love to do Pure Barre but it hasn't come my way yet. Hope 2016 is a good year for you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it from the first class. Definitely challenging but I love a good challenge.

      Delete
  7. I hope you can get back to running injury free soon! Being patient is not easy for me either, but it sounds like taking time off from running is just what your body needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The injury break did show me how much I want to run. I got caught up with need but it's important to keep it as a want.

      Delete