Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Pumpkin Spice 5k

The first-ever Pumpkin Spice race series was held this past Saturday, put together by Run Project and sponsored by my LRS, Run On! Texas.  Even though this race was in Fort Worth (and 40 miles from my apartment), I opted for this one over the other races this past weekend.  I got bling for the 5k, and there was an easy packet pickup location on my side of town.  I love an easy packet pickup because it's one stress aspect that's taken away.  I picked it up on Tuesday and got the race long-sleeve shirt and some sunglasses with the race packet.  I didn't use the sunglasses.


During the week, the weather seemed ideal with temps projected to be in the 40s.  Perfect running weather, right?  Wrong!  Wyoming and Colorado had a weather system move through and we got the wind.  Oh my goodness, it was windy.  The road to Fort Worth is mostly highways/tollways, and my car was being buffeted about by the wind.  I made it to the event center and did not want to get out of my car.  But I had to use the port-a-potties :-/

For the race I was wearing my Nike winter shirt, a UA short-sleeve shirt and a running vest, with running tights and a Running Skirt (no picture).  I threw in a college boathouse jacket to have something to wear after the race, but I ended up wearing that too.  Initially I had my bib pinned to my vest, but that changed when I opted to wear the jacket as well.  I also had gloves and a winter headband for my ears.  When I say it was cold, it was cold.  I know cold, and Texas cold, for whatever reason, always seems to be worse than it should.


My cousin and her friend were doing the 15k, and the 15k and 10k runners took off at 8, with the 5k starting at 8:30.  Y'all, there were a lot of 5k runners.  One aspect that needs to be worked out is the running route.  We started on the road, but quickly reached the running trails that were utilized for the race.  It got narrow pretty quickly, and I ended up weaving around a lot of people.  Probably the same people because we all were doing run/walk intervals.  If I was running, others were walking.  Then they passed me when I was walking.  The crowd kept my speed in check, but I did a lot of weaving.

We didn't get a 1-mile marker or 3-mile marker.  Only 2, and I heard from my cousin the 15k course was also missing mile markers.  I couldn't use my Garmin because the GPS was taking forever to link up with the satellites in the waiting corral, and I needed my running intervals.  I have no idea what my average pace was and how much I actually did run.  With all the weaving I was doing, I know I did more than 3.1.  The good news is, my calf spot didn't twinge until the very end.  I just would like to know what distance it was when it started twinging.


 Would I do this race again?  I don't think so.  It was fun, and another race to check out my legs and see how the kinks are faring.  For now I'm going to take a break from races and focus on the right spots.  My chiro's office has massage therapists and I need to take advantage of that to get work done on my calves.  What work I get on one side must be done on the other.  My body's got a great talent of one side joining the other in muscle kinks and pain.

14 comments:

  1. This race was made for me. Today I have with me for lunch - pumpkin bagel, pumpkin yogurt & pumpkin pop tarts. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a pumpkin fan but this was a good 5k on a good weekend for me to do a race. Post-race had pumpkin treats and pumpkin beer.

      Delete
  2. It's tough racing when you're on a narrow trail...that had to be so frustrating! Hopefully you'll continue to recover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could move, but the narrow path wasn't meant for that many runners at one time.

      Delete
  3. Bring all the pumpkin after running- love this idea! I'd sign up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was even a spice station on the course - pumpkin-colored corn starch like at colored runs.

      Delete
  4. I lived in TX a long time (Austin), so I know it does get cold. The difference between here (upstate NY) & there is that here it stays cold -- you guys have a few days of cold and then it's nice again. But you also have to deal with the heat in the summer.

    Your 5k sounds a lot like my 5k! Except I could get a signal so I have a pretty good idea of how the race went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can deal with cold but there was very little shelter from the wind. Nothing stops the wind when a cold front comes in.

      Delete
  5. Some cute swag for a first time race!
    Glad you had fun, even if it isn't one you want to do again! But I am happy to hear you keep on doing great and no signs of your injury coming back! Your mending/mended well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One injury at least. I don't know why the calf problem popped up but I've found the perfect spots to hit with the lacrosse ball.

      Delete
  6. Cute medal! Sounds like a fun race! Sorry about your garmin and the mile markers, but the medal is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the medal, and i can always use another mug.

      Delete
  7. Sorry about some of the issues with this race, but good for you for getting out there! Wind is the worst. All the race swag looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't bad issues, but it was 40 miles each way to the race site. They need to fix things before the 80-mile round trip is worth it again.

      Delete