Monday, November 2, 2015

Monday Musings 11/2

Today I get my flu shot.  I really really REALLY hope it works this year and I can enjoy Christmas.


Friday was fun.  We had a Halloween open house at work and then Friday night, PBS had a special with Danny Elfman.  Anyone else fans of Tim Burton movies?  All the scores performed are from Tim Burton films, finishing with Elfman himself singing songs from Nightmare Before Christmas.  He did sing for Jack in the film :)  It's online if anyone missed it and wants to watch it.

I got outside twice this past week for runs.  The first one was 2.25 miles and was good, the next one was 3 miles and my calf spot flared up again.  Ugh.  My chiro appointment is on the 11th and I want to get to the bottom of this.  I'm also thinking it might help to start using the new shoes I bought last month.  It's certainly much earlier than I would've liked, and they don't have that many running miles on them, but I'll give the new shoes a try.  I also might need some tighter compression on my calves.  I use Zensah calf sleeves but they may not be supportive enough.

This weekend again was gloomy weather.  Gloomy weather makes me want to cook.  Last week was tortilla soup, this week was spaghetti sauce.  Sunday I watched the NYC marathon, then started up the cooking around 2.  The sauce has to simmer for 3 hours once all the sautéing and mixing is complete.  My apartment smelled like Italy :-)

While the sauce was simmering, I did an intensive 30 minutes of strength training.  I'm trying something out (while trying to figure out my new flare up) since the Galloway plan for Think calls for 3 runs a week.  that means I'd need to switch things up and have 2 strength training sessions.  I don't know if that would be enough strength sessions, so might as well try them out now.  If they don't work, I know I need to stick with my schedule while trying to build mileage.


Weekly Wrap-up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin.

*****

Monday: yoga

Tuesday: 2.25 miles

Wednesday: 35 minutes strength training

Thursday: 2 miles hill walking

Friday: yoga

Saturday: 3 miles

Sunday: 30 minutes strength training

18 comments:

  1. I need to get my flu shot too. I'm a little later this year than usual. I hope you can get to the bottom of your calf problem. I'm so impressed you made homemade spaghetti sauce. I just pop open a jar of Prego! I've become very lazy with my cooking. Thanks for linking with us Lesley and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's another one that there's prep and a little work, but then simmers for 3 hours. My apartment still smells like spaghetti sauce.

      Delete
  2. I'm scared to get my flu shot not that I'm scared of the shot but I'm afraid it will jinx me into getting the flu. Hate your having calf problems :) Maybe it will work itself out! Have a great week and thanks so much for joining us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never gotten the flu directly from a flu shot *knock on wood* I work at a university and it's a sitting petri dish.

      Delete
  3. Well done on the workouts and the cooking! I've never gotten a flu shot and typically I get the flu about once every 10 years. I know I'm pressing my luck saying that. I hope that spot on your calf calms down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every 10 years? I don't get sick often but I after last year, I'm determined to do everything I can to not get it. I can take being sick but that was something else.

      Delete
  4. I never get a flu shot anymore, I know I should and I can get them free but...Guess if I get the flu I only have myself to blame:)
    Give those new shoes a try, it's unbelievable how much a new pair of shoes can make a huge difference. Anytime I would get any odd pains or things that lasted more than a day in the past when I ran, I switched shoes and have to say that almost always fixed the problem. Good luck hope that helps!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new shoes will be tested out tomorrow. Sadly, not outside, but the treadmill is still a good start.

      Delete
  5. I got my flu shot a few weeks ago. Lets hope it keeps the flu away:)
    Hopefully you can figure out whats going on with your calf. Nice job with the training this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird, but since my chiro knew the term for that spot, he could know what I need to do.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a lot of folks had gloomy rainy weekends for Halloween. Ours was warm and beautiful!
    What is a Halloween open house? Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The open house was a Halloween celebration and we encouraged faculty and other departments to come visit and find out what we do.

      Delete
  7. Like Tricia, I am also scared to get a flu shot. Luckily I have never gotten the flu. I also watched the Nyc marathon. There are some crazy fast runners!. Sorry to hear yum are having some calf trouble. Hopefully your Chiropracticor will help you out next wk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crazy thing is the commentators were saying it was a conservative pace. Excuse me? They're running a 5k in a little over what takes me a mile. that ain't slow!

      Delete
  8. The one time I took the flu shot I got the flu and it was awful. I've been afraid to get the shot ever since then. I'll take my chances. That homemade spaghetti sauce sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get flu shots because I work at a university, and the one year I didn't, I got the flu. I'm hoping last year was an anomaly getting the flu even though I got a flu shot.

      Delete
  9. I love cooking (especially in the crock pot) when it's cold and/or dreary outside! I hope you get your calf figured out. I used to use Zensah calf sleeves and I definitely feel like they are a bit looser/less supportive than other brands. At the time, that was exactly what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a certain spot that I've been working on this weekend. I see my chiro this week and hopefully if I don't get answers, I get a plan of attack.

      Delete