Monday, November 16, 2015

Monday Musings 11/16

Thursday I didn't do any cardio and instead watched videos of cardio and yoga.  Yeah, I wasn't feeling motivated, and the cat snuggled next to me on the couch.  "OK, I'm done, and going to lay here until she moves."  That was my Thursday.  I'm still experimenting with a different schedule, but since Thursdays are rather blah days most weeks, I'm thinking of going back to running on Wednesdays and using Tuesdays and Thursdays as strength days.  I still have weaknesses that I need to focus on, if my chiro appointment last week was any indication.


The reason why my calf is tight along my shin bone was my hip was tight and I was out of alignment.  He had to use Graston to get those calf spots to loosen up, and he said running on banked surfaces during the Showdown 5k was enough to pull me out of alignment.  The whole second mile was on a highway access road that banked down to the right, and only one lane was closed off.  That meant I couldn't move to the center of the road to get away from the slope.  If that was enough to pull me out of alignment, I still have a lot work to do.


Since I no longer have my gym membership, I've been looking at different workouts and combining shorter ones to help me on my strength days.  I've upped Pure Barre to 3 times a month, and even splurged on a class package.  That should last me a little over 3 months.  I have DVD workouts I add together, and I've been looking at workouts from Muscle and Fitness Hers, plus a video I found from Pilates Happy Hour and some of the Oiselle Dozen.  I don't do all 12, but combine them with exercises from the other workouts, and it's fun to do.  I've been doing two reps but might up it to three.  I've even found more yoga routines to do.


As a side note, I mentioned to my chiro I have another 5k on the 21st and he said to come in before that to make sure I'm in alignment.  When I looked at the calendar to make that appointment, I realized the 5k is this coming Saturday.  What?  When did that happen?  It's the Saturday before Thanksgiving and it's this coming weekend!


Weekly Wrap-up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin.

*****

Monday: yoga

Tuesday: 3 miles (treadmill)

Wednesday: strength training

Thursday: extra rest with foam rolling and extra stretching

Friday: rest

Saturday: 2.6 miles (track), lower back yoga

Sunday: Pure Barre, lower back yoga (my lower back was tight this weekend)


18 comments:

  1. That is awesome about your upcoming race this weekend!
    Have you gotten a lot more outdoor running in since your last race, if so I bet that will help and you'll be fine this weekend!
    That is funny about watching a workout video but not working out, LOL I had a lazy day yesterday and although I did't watch workout video's, I did watch some shows and got a little caught up on one, by the end of day I was so zoned out from watching so much TV. I don't think I have sat for that many hours at a time in years. But I think I needed a relax do nothing day, in fact I was so lazy last night when I thought about writing my blog post for today, I was like "skip it" I know, right, lazy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten outside more, but it's been banked surfaces. I can't find a sidewalk around here that's flat and straight.

      Delete
  2. Time sure is flying. Can't wait to see how the 5k goes! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I couldn't believe it last week, but here we are. I get a shortened week next week :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! The month of November has gotten away from us! I think I'm due for an extra day of rest and foam rolling. Good luck on your 5k! I'm glad you looked at the calendar. LOL. Beautiful pics! I appreciate you linking with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was almost staring at the calendar because I couldn't believe it. Next thing I know it will be time to listen to Christmas music.

      Delete
  4. Yea, running on banks and uneven surfaces can really mess ya up. I learned that the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little surprised that just one mile could do that to me. that just shows how much strengthening work I still have to do.

      Delete
  5. It is almost Thanksgiving! I'm rather excited for that because we'll be headed to Disney! Good luck in you run! Appreciate you linking up with us Lesley! Maybe this week will slow down a little :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanksgiving at Disney sounds like a lot of fun. I've been during Halloween and Christmas, and in between, but not for Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  6. I really can't believe how fast this month is going! Its good that you are able to catch the alignment stuff before it becomes an issue. I still need regular adjustments to make sure everything is aligned properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is the time I went before the last 5k, he didn't have to make any adjustments. Maybe he should skew me in the other direction so banked surfaces will pull me into alignment?

      Delete
  7. I've been seeing my chiropractor since shortly after my car accident at the end of January, and he has helped me to find so much relief from pain. Sounds like yours has been extremely helpful as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been going once a month but now that I'm running a lot more now, I probably should go more often. Especially if I can build for Tink, I'll need those alignment checks.

      Delete
  8. This month is flying by. Good luck on your 5K run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, isn't it? Friday starts holiday shopping.

      Delete
  9. I hope your race went well! This month has seemed to fly by, hasn't it!? I cannot believe Thanksgiving is this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll recap it tomorrow but I'm happy with the way it turned out. It was COLD though, and I ran with more layers on than I usually run with down here.

      Delete