Friday, November 13, 2015

Healthy Holidays

As I was reading this article yesterday, I thought it well-timed for my reading, since the article was published a couple weeks ago.  I am one to turned towards comfort food in the winter, and in fact, I made a goulash casserole last weekend and had enough for 3 meals during the week.  Now, it has tomatoes, so that counts, right?  I did pair it with fruit, like raspberries, to try to stay a little healthy, and I made 3 portions to have a smaller amount for each meal.


1) I'm fine through November, then it's all those Christmas parties.  One Thanksgiving day isn't going to throw off my eating, but all the Christmas snacking is a challenge.  If I don't want it in the home, I don't buy it.  It's a lot more difficult to do that kind of control at work.

2) I've been doing this for a few years now, but when I cook, I buy the low-salt variety of anything for broths, taco mixes, and other spices.  Americans consume way too much salt, and instead of salt I use herbs to add extra flavor to a dish.

3) I stay consistent with my workout schedule.  I don't participate in any holiday challenge because I also find comfort in routine, and my workout schedule gives me rest days and yoga days when I need them.

4) If I do go to parties, sometimes I'll make a lighter appetizer.  I already have one party on my schedule, and I'm making a Mediterranean appetizer for finger foods.  Puff pastry, tomatoes, olives and basil and oregano provide a lightness while also adding flavor.  The cheese provides plenty of salt (see #2).

5) Lastly, I don't cut myself off from all the temptation.  Going cold turkey means more control than I'm willing to deal with.  If I want some chocolate, I'll have some chocolate.  I'll get the Ghiradelli peppermint bark squares so a single serving is easy to stick with.

 Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?! 


10 comments:

  1. Yum! Goulash casserole sounds awesome! I ran into trouble when I used to do a ton of holiday baking. I'd come home from work and fire up the oven for cookies. Since I've stopped that, I'm good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still bake some, but my mom did a lot of holiday baking when I was a kid. The trick is she gave most of it away to friends or my teachers.

      Delete
  2. There is really just something about comfort foods when the weather is uninviting. Now why can't comfort foods be healthy?

    I mean, I know we can make them healthier, but why can't things like tons of cheese be healthy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. The goulash has tomatoes so I include that, but I do have some fruit outside of the casserole.

      Delete
  3. My Mother used to make Goulash way back when. I have a tradition of making several types of candy for Christmas. I'm great at getting through the holidays. It's Hoovering up the leftovers after it's over that gets me in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky in that aspect. Since I go to friends' for Thanksgiving, I get one meal of leftovers, which I eat the next day, then I spend Christmas with my parents. Once I leave, no leftovers.

      Delete
  4. I never salt my food but I don't buy low salt variety of anything so I know it's sneaking in there!

    The Ghiradelli chocolate squares are a holiday favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the squares this weekend :) In the past they've only made them with milk chocolate but now they have dark chocolate. Yeah, I bought a bag.

      Delete
  5. staying consistent is so important throughout the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think my consistent schedule is what gets me through the chaos. It's such a busy time but I still find time for me.

      Delete