Friday, November 20, 2015

Favorite Winter Drinks

Friday Five is favorite drinks.  I add in some hot drinks in the summer, and also stick to some staples through the year.  I've already opened a box of hot tea since I really needed help on Tuesday.  Tornado sirens went off at 4am that day and I really struggled to get through the day.


1) Lady Grey tea - my favorite hot black tea.  The bergamot flavor isn't as strong as in Earl Grey, and the citrus balances out the flavors too.

2) Hot Chocolate - I need to get more to start the winter off, but my favorites are Ghiradelli's.  There's was the first to have the mixture with hot milk, and I haven't been able to have water-based hot chocolate since.  The milk adds body to the hot chocolate and is the only way I drink it now.

3) Sleepytime tea.  Sometimes I do have trouble winding down at the end of the day, and Sleepytime tea is the best way I can help with that.  I really don't know if the valerian actually works, but the process of letting the tea steep and drinking something hot with no caffeine seems to help.  Plus the bear in his nightcap is so cute!


4) Champagne.  OK, this is more related to the holidays.  I'm taking a bottle of sparkling wine with me to Thanksgiving and will get it this weekend.  I avoid the stores the day before Thanksgiving because, like the airport, it's chaos.  I make sure I have everything ready to go beforehand.

5) Red wine.  It's not hot, but shouldn't be cold either.  I make some heavy, substantial meals during the winter, soups, stews, casseroles, and I need wine that holds up with it.  I still drink white when I make seafood, but red is definitely a lot more winter.


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?! 

10 comments:

  1. I don't like water based hot chocolate either! I like it to taste like the old fashioned kind made on the stove with milk, sugar and Hershey's cocoa. Does anybody make it like that anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I started drinking hot chocolate made with milk, water-based is too thin and weak.

      Delete
  2. My thought is, why bother having hot chocolate if it's water-based? It kind of defeats the purpose! Personally, I think whipped cream on top is an absolute must, too.

    Ghiradelli's, yummmyyyyyyyyy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put Swiss Miss in milk now. I don't care if the packet says water.

      Delete
  3. Hate hate when hot chocolate is too watery! I havn't tried this sleepy time tea! The bear is cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sleepytime tea. It smells great, and it lets me relax with a hot drink when I need it, and doesn't leave me wired.

      Delete
  4. The only tea I usually drink is chai! I love it hot or cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried chai. I'll drink tea hot or cold, cold tea year round and hot tea either when I'm sick, or during the winter.

      Delete
  5. All delicious choices! At the holidays I do love some peppermint hot cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, peppermint hot chocolate. I have a tin of it, but it's running low. I need to get more soon.

      Delete