Thursday, October 29, 2015

Tortilla Soup

I was asked what my tortilla soup recipe is, so here it is.  My mom got this recipe from a coworker years ago, and it's been a winter staple since.  I didn't eat it at first, but as I got older I came to love it.


First step:
2 T vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 can of mild, chopped green chilis
2 garlic cloves

Saute for 5 minutes

Second step:
1 cup chicken broth
1.5 cups beef broth
1.5 cups tomato juice
1.5 cups water
1 large tomato, diced
1 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1 t salt (if using low sodium broths)
2 t worcestershire sauce
1 packet frozen corn
Chicken, cubed

Add all the remaining ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 60-70 minutes.  You can serve it as is or serve with tortilla chips, cheese, guac, sour cream, any garnish you want.

I don't chop the garlic cloves, but I do cut each clove in half.  That way the flavor permeates the soup, but I can easily find the cloves and pick them out once the soup is ready.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I've never tried homemade tortilla soup but might have to now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not difficult at all and makes lots of leftovers.

      Delete
  2. This sounds good. I like that it is simple too. Not many Ingredients. And most of them you may even have on hand. Perfect for these chilly nights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is perfect, even if it's not chilly it's perfect if the weather is gloomy.

      Delete
  3. Mmm, this looks good! Soup season is here, time for me to finally try to make one from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather's being fickle but making the soup made it feel like fall.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I am sitting here reading this as I am freezing and a bowl of soup would taste fabulous! We are getting a little peek of winter today, and for the life of me I can't get warm, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's why we're getting rain this weekend, again. I don't have soup to make but I am making spaghetti sauce.

      Delete