Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Showdown 5k

This was meant to be a yardstick to find out where I am in my comeback.  I wanted to do this 5k last year but I was nowhere near ready and decided to wait.  It's a local race, and I kept hearing about how well organized it was every year.  When the time came this year to sign up, I went ahead to have a milestone on my calendar, and to have fun.

 

It was VERY easy to get to the starting area and there was no traffic turning into the parking lots.  The town hall where we started is at the end of a shopping area so there was plenty of parking spots and easy to find the starting area from there.  The half went first, followed by the 5k.  The time to use the portapotties was when the 1/2 marathoners were lined up, listening to the UT and OU fight songs. There were no lines so I took advantage.  Bad part is I think that's when one of my earbuds dropped off the earplug :(  I don't know when it happened, but I ran the race with one earbud in since the other was unprotected.

To sum things up, it went well until mile 2.  It wasn't my IT band, and I would have cried if it had been my IT band.  The flare up I had last month reared its ugly head, so I switched my intervals during the last mile.  I could run for at least a minute at a time so that's what I decided to do.  I wasn't out to break any records; I wanted to run by feel from the very beginning to see how everything went.


I have some theories about this flare up.  The spot is in the middle of classic runner's knee and my IT band spot.  I'm going to incorporate some more quad work in case it is runner's knee, and I'm going to work on loosening up my calf, in case it stems from last.  I went to my LRS and they said it could be tight calves and I've been battling that for the last month, and my lacrosse ball found a whopping knot in that calf during my recovery.

I also think in part it's because this was my first run outside in quite a while.  Like maybe last fall when I was using the track.  Now that the weather's turned more towards fall, I can take my runs off the treadmill and pick things up.  I run faster when I'm outside, which may have contributed to the flare up, and the contours and banking of the course probably did too.  My next plan of attack is to start small with mileage as I transition outside.  If it's not that, at least I'll be off the treadmill and running my normal running gait.

Nothing Bundt Cakes!
Overall, this race was exactly what I wanted it to be.  It showed me my IT band is acting very well at the moment, but it gave me other aspects to focus on.  It's still trial and error, and the only way I can get better is to keep running to test out my theories.  I'm now looking for a 5k around Thanksgiving, either the weekend before or after.  There are a few in the area so I'll keep my eye on those.

Oh, and let's talk about Rock Tape.  Let's talk about how painful it is to take the tape off after a race.  It's not like taking off a band-aid.  I didn't really need the layer of skin, did I?


Tuesdays on the Run with Patty, Erika, and Marcia.

21 comments:

  1. WTG! Glad your IT band was cooperating, even if you had some other issues. Sounds like you have a solid plan as far as what to focus on to improve your recovery. And tell me about this Rock Tape, because I've tried KT tape a million times for various injuries and I can't get it to stick through one run let alone have any trouble pulling it off...maybe I should try Rock Tape, instead?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock Tape is so much better than KT Tape. My chiro has called KT Tape crap before and won't use it. I tape up the same way with Rock Tape and it actually stays put.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your flare-up during the race. It sounds like you're taking the right steps to ease back into running comfortably. I've never used Rock Tape or KT tape - I never thought about it being painful to take off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock Tape is REALLY sticky and I forgot how much it sticks. The flare up wasn't too bad and I can't complain too much since it wasn't my IT band. Just something new to work on.

      Delete
  3. I had major IT issues after ramping up too quickly post first marathon. I totally get your paranoia. Praying all stays well and your ITB issues are behind you! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ramped up too quickly for my third half and was out for two years with this. I couldn't run through it, the pain was too much. Each smaller race I do is a test to see where I'm at now.

      Delete
  4. I think your re-entry plan sounds so smart. I think I will need to do this too with my pain management- IT Band is a killer but time...patience...and PT will help. Good luck~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not good at patience but I've had to be with ITBS. Now I know my body needs more strength training than running, so I accommodate that.

      Delete
  5. I am happy the race showed you what you wanted! Bummer about the flare-up, though! I hope your focused strength sessions and running outside help it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get outside, but the weather is being a PITA. I hope it's much better next week. I want fall weather and I want to get on the track.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear that your IT band cooperated during the race! I too often run faster when I'm outside. Its so easy to just set the speed on the treadmill and not focus on running faster than a pace you're comfortable at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been running at a faster speed on the treadmill than in the past, but it's easier to run my normal gait outside. I'm not battling a moving belt and safety bar in front of me.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad to hear your IT played well this race! I thought I had kicked mine to the curb but it came to visit a few runs ago. I'm very interested in your comments about could be tight calfs and lacrosse ball? I wonder if it might help me with mine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tight calf could be the culprit for my new flare up. My IT band gets better than this, right? There's a spot near the top of the shin bone, a bony knot, and that's where the tightness and semi-pain flared up at.

      Delete
  8. Great job Lelsey, and good girl (boy?) IT Band! Looking forward to see how you do in a Turkey Trot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH sorry I meant LESLEY obviously!

      Delete
    2. Me too :) I'm looking at that week to give me more time to recover and work on the additional stretches I need to do and to get outside.

      Delete
  9. Yay, Congratulations Lesley!!!
    That's too bad about the knee at mile 2, but I think you are right I bet if you hadn't been training outdoors, it was the outdoor terrain instead of the cushion indoor. I think if you do as you said and strenthen it more, and get more outdoor mix of training in you won't see that problem again!
    That is awesome your IT gave you no issues, (knock on wood) I think you area healed girl:) I hope you do find another race for around Thanksgiving!
    Woot Woot, Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about healed, but it cooperated this race at least. I wanted to get outside earlier but the weather never cooled down enough. That's the frustration with October in north Texas.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on getting back at it, but troubling about the knee. How is your glute activation? it's kind of my go-to question, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't great in the past. I had ITBS for two years. I'm always looking for ways to improve my glutes and hips but the flare up wasn't my IT band.

      Delete