Thursday, October 15, 2015

Plan of Attack for November

As I mentioned in my 5k recap, I have some theories about what caused the flare up in my knee.  It wasn't ITBS, which I'm extremely grateful for.  I know that spot intimately, unfortunately, and I was able to keep running to finish the race, albeit in shorter spurts.  This new spot flared up in September, and now I have a little bit of a pattern and some extra info.


In early September, I felt a twinge in that spot but it wasn't bad, so I held off until my chiro appointment to bring it up, and got it worked on.  My first run after it was a lot more than a twinge and I cut my run short to not push it.  My chiro appointment this month was the Wednesday before my 5k, and again it flared up.  A little bit of a pattern, which I can experiment with next month.  My appointment is early November, and I'm not looking for a race until the week of Thanksgiving.

The other main theory is my tight calf.  The calf itself didn't bother me during the race, but my LRS suggested the calf was still responsible for this new flare up.  The outside of the calf can cause that kinetic chain to be strained, and I need to work to loosen up the muscle near the shin bone.  That's not always easy, but I have my stick and lacrosse ball, and the internet to help with stretches to target that spot.  I've started with the stick and lacrosse ball already for this recovery week, and I found a great stretch yesterday by playing around with my yoga strap.


I also think I should build in some recovery weeks during the next round.  I think it would be beneficial for my body to have a week where I keep up with yoga and easy biking, but back off on pounding the pavement.  Now that we're in racing season, I can sign up for a couple more 5k's and focus on building mileage outside to keep my natural stride.  

I won't lie, the new flare up is frustrating, but my IT band did well during the 5k and I found out what else I need to do to keep moving forward.  It's always a learning process and I'm exciting to start again next week.

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of the lacross ball and stick method to help stretch things out! I'll have to do some research on that myself. I have perpetually tight calves, as well.

    I think it's a super smart idea to build in some recovery weeks. I've definitely learned the hard way how important those "stepback" weeks are after I've dealt with so many injuries, too. You've got a great plan of action for moving forward. I wish you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Stick and lacrosse ball can focus a lot more on one area and I can apply more pressure to my calf. It helps loosen things up and I can stretch more.

      Delete
  2. My co-worker, started going to a Chiro because she was having some hip pain, and started seeing them weekly, and she ended up getting major knee pain from it, like so bad she even had to cancel her marathon 2 weeks ago.
    She went to a Sports PT, and they had her stop the chiro appointments immediately, and once the pain faded a little they had her start on PT, and within almost 2 weeks now, she is completely pain free and back to running again.
    It could be totally different, every body handles everything different, but you may be right, it might be the Chiro.
    Hope you do find out what's causing it so you can fix the program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to the chiro once a month to make sure things are in alignment and he checks my IT band. I know twice isn't a pattern, but I can play around with it. I'll keep going but I'll keep appointments away from race weekends.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear your IT band did not flare up during your 5k. Building your mileage up is a great idea. It will get your body used to that feeling and continue to get stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my chiro said. I'm building durability in my knee by going slowly and making it stronger. I've been on the treadmill and I'm itching to get outside.

      Delete