Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Strength Training for Runners

I found out the extremely hard way various strength training exercises are vital for a balanced body for running.  Before ITBS, I was only hitting the weight room and doing the same exercises over and over again.  Just weights.  I'd throw in Pilates here and there, but nearly enough, as it turned out.  I battled ITBS for 2 years, during which I started seeing a chiro and learned how out of whack my body was.  I got a cortisone shot after nothing was working, and I got prescribed PT and recommended to Airrosti.  The shot didn't do jack but Airrosti worked wonders.  And after a year at PT, I struck out on my own after my July appointment this year.  They said it was a matter of strength training so I took that to heart.  So what am I doing?


Pure Barre.  That's right, I'm one of the Pure Barre people now and I love it.  The first class what such a challenge, but right away I could feel it targeting my weak spots.  The "seat" and my hips.  PB is a full-body workout so my weaknesses aren't the only spots it works, but I feel it the most in those areas.  I'm also not as strong as I thought, so it's been a good ego check, but a fun one (if that makes sense) because I love a challenge.

At-home DVD workouts.  I've built up a pretty good (I think) DVD collection at home and have been focusing more on these workouts that your traditional weight room workout.  I still do weights every other Sunday, but that's only one kind of workout I'm doing.  Weights, Pure Barre, and body-weight exercises with small weights.  Workouts like the Iron Strength workout and a little workout called Butt Lift.  This one is a part of the 10-minute workout lineup, which is great because I usually end up doing two workouts when I put this in the DVD player.


It does have an abs workout as a bonus selection, but the other 5 sequences focus on the glutes and hips.  All of the exercises can be done at home, so I shift the coffee table around to have enough room to do them.

I do still have my yoga and Pilates DVDs, but Butt Lift and Iron Strength is making me work on the weak areas, which I'm loving.  Between weights, Pure Barre, Iron Strength, Butt Lift, and other core workouts, it's no wonder I've shifted to running two times a week instead of 3, so I can strength train 3 days a week instead of 2.  All of which is starting to pay off.  Yes, I think I have runner's knee, which means I need to strengthen my quads a little bit more, but that's good to know too.  It's still trial and error, but I feel myself getting stronger and making slow progress with my mileage build up.

Tuesdays on the Run with  AprilPatty, and Erika.

14 comments:

  1. So glad that all the strength training is helping you! Strong glutes really are so important for healthy running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that had been emphasized so much when I started. Weak glutes are aweful!

      Delete
  2. Strength training is a godsend. It makes all the difference in the world. I used to think running more was the only way to improve your running, but then I learned how strength training and stretching are so valuable. Pure Barre is amazing - it targets ALL of those weak areas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Pure Barre. I may waddle out of class, but it works.

      Delete
  3. Strength training can make such a big difference. I never do DVD workouts since I go to the gym. But as long as you get it in that's all that matters. Some of those dvds are very challenging. I have never tried that Pure Barre class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go to the gym a lot, then they started construction around mine, and I didn't want to put up with that AND rush hour.

      Delete
  4. It is SUCH a balancing act trying to get everything in! So glad you are finding what works for you -- and I love the 10 min DVDs & have a bunch of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need two days of rest each week, so fitting everything in has been interesting.

      Delete
  5. Strength training is important and I don't do it as often as I should! I need to work on my glutes- I was told that I'm a quad heavy runner by my PT when I was injured last year, and he said it was causing my glutes and hamstrings to work harder to keep up. So I've been trying to do more squats and lunges, etc. Maybe I'll try that Butt workout DVD ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The workouts themselves are fun, but put them together and they really make you work.

      Delete
  6. Strength training is super important for runners. Not only does it help prevent injury, but it also helps in making us faster and stronger as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point I'm working on getting stronger, since that's what got me in trouble in the first place. I am running faster on the treadmill too and I'll take that as a bonus.

      Delete
  7. I wish I could add Pure Barre back into my schedule but it's just too expensive. I need to get some DVD's and actually use them LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go twice a month due to my schedule and the price. If people ask what I want for my birthday, I'll say PB gift cards.

      Delete