Monday, September 21, 2015

Monday Musings 9/21

I seem to be losing time in September.  I knew it would be a busy month, but I look back on that last two weeks and I've run a total of 3 times.  I've kept up my strength training, but I need to get back in gear to prep for my 5k on October 10th.


I knew I had to keep up strength training, which is easier since I can do it at home.  Throw in Pure Barre, and I can get some good strength training done during the week.  My calves were tight this past week (one was cramping during Pure Barre), and my run on Tuesday was rough with a weather system moving in.  I skipped working out Wednesday because that system knocked me on my seat.  Thursday I did parts of Iron Strength, and I spent that rest of the week stretching my calves and getting Icy Hot on them.  I even went in for a much needed massage on Sunday.  I hadn't been for over two years because of my ITBS.

I hope it helps with my tight calves.  Right now there's a spot right below my knee and slightly to the right that is giving me grief.  My chiro knew the spot and worked on it last week, and I think it's connected to the tight calves.  It flared up during my run yesterday so I got 2.75 miles done instead of the 3 I was shooting for, and I had to walk the last .1 miles.  I don't run until Wednesday so I'll work on that spot, between icing, stretching and rolling.

She's a pro at this relaxing thing
To help out with all this, I decided to try a recipe from Lauren Fleshman's blog.  A study was done that found collagen in gelatin supports the rebuilding of connective tissue.  Throw in her suggestion to make homemade jello with tart cherry juice for the anti-inflammatory qualities, and my interest was piqued.

Weekly Wrap-up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin.

*****

Monday: rest

Tuesday: 2.25 miles

Wednesday: rest

Thursday: Iron Strength

Friday: rest

Saturday: rest

Sunday: 2.75 miles

17 comments:

  1. I hope the spot on your knee gets to feeling better! Sorry it's so tight and giving you so much trouble! September really has flown by!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My chiro worked on it two weeks ago but it's frustrating. I'm taking care of my ITBS and this pops up. It almost feels like runner's knee.

      Delete
  2. Sorry that your calves have been bothering you, I hope they loosen up! I really can't believe that we are already 3 weeks into September, I have no idea where the month has gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I. I think I'm thrown off because Labor Day was so late this year.

      Delete
  3. I hate those flare ups! They are such a bugger.... September has gone way too Fast!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are. I'm treating one injury, and this decides to join the party.

      Delete
  4. Hope that remedy helps with your flare up. I have been needed to go get a massage soon too. I am so overdue. Hope you feel better and can get a few more good runs in before your upcoming race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The massage felt good, though I hadn't had one for 2 years. I wish they would focus more on my legs, but I think I need to see the therapist at my chiro's for that to happen.

      Delete
  5. I haven't had a massage in a really long time. That sounds wonderful. I hope you can get your calves loosened up and the spot on your knee gets better too. I'd forgotten how tart cherry juice is good for inflammation! I could use some. Thanks for linking up with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did buy Biofreeze at the massage place. It's the only place I've seen it, and I like Biofreeze so much more than Icy Hot.

      Delete
  6. Me too I had read about the great benefits of tart cherry juice. Thanks for that reminder I need to get me some. Hoping your knee behaves. I'm right with ya. Has a twinge when I tried for a 7miler this weekend. Appreciate you supporting our weekly Wrap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to eat tart cherries a lot but I've never tried the juice. I cut the recipe in half so it wouldn't use up so much of the juice.

      Delete
  7. Me too I had read about the great benefits of tart cherry juice. Thanks for that reminder I need to get me some. Hoping your knee behaves. I'm right with ya. Has a twinge when I tried for a 7miler this weekend. Appreciate you supporting our weekly Wrap!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had a massage in forever. That sounds nice! I hope your knee feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd been too long, but I don't splurge often either. It felt nice, and I used a gift card, which still has a balance on it. For next time :)

      Delete
  9. I hope that bothersome spot feels better soon! I haven't had a massage in a long time, but they feel soooo good! Especially for my perpetually tight calves. Maybe I should ask for one for Christmas this year :)

    My pets are pros at relaxing, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie's a pro at relaxing. Sometimes she looks more tired than me, and I'm the one who did a workout.

      Delete