Monday, September 14, 2015

Monday Musings 9/14


Another Monday.  I really need to learn to sleep in more.  I could do it in college but now that I've been working for 8 years, it's tough to flip the switch and sleep past 7.  7:30 on my lucky days.  I mixed things up this weekend and went to Pure Barre on Saturday and ran Sunday.  I downshifted gears during the week so Sunday was the only run I did this week.  I had probably THE best PB workout I've had since I started going.  I made note of an exercise to try at home because I STRUGGLED with it.  I always feel these in my stabilizing leg and have to break the hold because it's cramping.  I could barely do it and had to break often, which was frustrating.  I can do this exercise at home to get stronger for next time.

I do think all this strength training is working.  I had my monthly check-in with my chiro and he didn't have to do any adjustments to get my hips back in place.  Please please please let that be because I'm addressing the weaknesses and one side isn't pulling the other out of whack.  It felt good when he told me that.  He still worked on my spine and neck, but my hips are still where they should be :)


This weekend I made what I call healthy comfort food.  I also think it's a runner's dream meal.  It's pasta with chicken and various veggies.  Add on Parmesan cheese for extra flavor and protein.  My parents have made this since I was a baby when they found it at a time I moved to solid food and they needed to find recipes I would eat a lot of.  I don't add the zucchini since I don't eat that yet, but I do have the carrots, red bell pepper and tomatoes.  I cheat too and get rotisserie chicken at the grocery store.  I still have to shred it but I don't have to cook it.

Butter and olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup slivered carrots
3/4 cup 1-inch red bell pepper strips
1/2-lb slivered cooked chicken
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
2 cups diagonally sliced zucchini
2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper
Rotelle pasta
Parmesan cheese

Heat butter and olive oil in skillet, then add onions, pepper, carrots, chicken and parsley
Cover and simmer 10 minutes
Add zucchini, tomatoes, broth, salt and pepper
Cover and cook 15-20 minutes, or until all veggies are tender
Cook pasta, combine with veggies and chicken.  Add cheese on top.

Weekly Wrap-up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin.

*****

Monday: rest

Tuesday: Jillean Michaels Killer Buns and Thighs

Wednesday: chiro appointment

Thursday: Core yoga

Friday: rest

Saturday: Pure Barre

Sunday: 2.5 miles

17 comments:

  1. YUM that meal sounds delicious! I love the idea of adding a rotisserie chicken to it, too! Glad the chiro is giving you a positive report...awesome work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The already-cooked chicken is a shortcut I take all the time. Once I prep the veggies I can throw everything in the skillet.

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to take one of those Pure Barre classes. But there are non in our area. Glad to hear your feeling more align these days and your hips feel good. That dinner looks so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make DVDs but I haven't gotten one yet. I'm thinking about it for when I can't get to the studio.

      Delete
  3. I think that is good your hips are where they should be. I think strength training takes time, and a lot of it has to do with the types your doing and the amount of weight used. Maybe if you're not feeling the benefits, mix it up a little or try adding more weight.
    Your meal looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned the hard way I need to mix up strength training types. I'm not so focused on weight machines anymore.

      Delete
  4. I do think my strength training has helped me a lot. I felt better in this past half than I ever have and recovered at an even faster past than I did 6 months ago! Keep it up! I would love to have this meal right about now too! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking up with us too this week, we appreciate your continued support! :)

      Delete
    2. I have a 5k next month and I'm interested to see how I do and how I recover with all the training I'm doing now.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear your hips are staying in place! I would bet its from all the strength work you are doing. Keep it up!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Wednesday was the first appointment where he didn't have to move my hips at all.

      Delete
  6. Great news from your chiropractor appointment! It's awesome that you have taken on the challenge of practicing your Pure Barre moves at home to get better. That's determination! Thanks for the recipe. I love a good pasta dish. I appreciate you linking with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This move is on the floor so I don't need a barre to do it. It kicked my seat and I want to do better.

      Delete
  7. Woo hoo on your strength work showing good results!!! Isn't that the best feeling? The recipe looks delicioso! And Pure Barre is no joke. It's one of those workouts that is endlessly challenging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so tough the first class and I keep going back for more. it's so challenging but I can feel it working.

      Delete
  8. That pasta recipe sounds really yummy!

    Hooray for hips that are where they should be :) I recently went through having three ribs out of place, and it took 3 months to finally get them back where they belong and for them to stay there. I know what a relief it is for stuff like that to finally be fixed.

    Oh and I love Jillian Michaels DVDs for cross training! Looks like you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ribs out of place sounds painful! I didn't know how out of alignment I was until I started seeing my chiro.

      Delete