Friday, September 4, 2015

Long Weekend Coming Right Up

It's finally Friday, which means when I get off work today, it'll be a 3-day weekend.  Anybody else feeling like this?





I do.  Why does this week feel so so so slow?

Today's Friday Five is fall races, but I only have two on schedule, and I've done my distance for the first one.

1) Virtual challenge with Run the Edge.  I did 3.25 miles Wednesday, which means my 5k distance for the challenge is done.  So soon?  Don't worry, I'll be running more, but this month is a little sporadic.  Next week I see my chiro, which is a must, and I lose a Saturday for a cert exam.

2) The Showdown 5k.  This is the morning of the UT/OU game, and I'll be sporting my Babson gear loud and proud.  There's no football team at Babson and given the spate of ridiculous hypocrisy and special standards, I hope Babson never does.  Undefeated since 1919.

Bucket List races:

3) I still have the Big Sur half on Monterey Bay on my bucket list.  There is no way I'm rushing in to the race so it's there if I can do it, whenever that may be.  I watched the Big Blue special on PBS this week, all about the animals coming to Monterey Bay and it makes want to be in Monterey sooooooo much.

4) Halloween races are so much fun because you can dress up for the race.  Most of the time I have fun people watching and for 5k's, what costumes the kids are wearing.  The last Halloween race I did, 4 boys were dressed up at Mario and Luigi and friends.

5) Turkey trots.  I don't believe in the whole gotta do something to earn my turkey, but it's a great feeling of accomplishment.  Get up early and run in the (maybe) crisp morning, before heading back inside to eat myself into a food coma.  That's the way Thanksgiving should be.


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!

14 comments:

  1. I love virtual races too and have one next weekend for skirt sports. I am usually too busy cooking on Thanksgiving day to race but I sometimes do one that weekend which is fun. Hope you enjoy your long weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends and I do a potluck type style so I have time to do a race if I want to. It's nice not to be bogged down with cooking.

      Delete
  2. Even though I don't pig out on Thanksgiving, my family is not known for healthy food and so I do like to run. I don't do the turkey trots because I'm already traveling and it makes things kind of hectic.

    We were in Monterey last September (my first time in like 20 yrs) & I had a lot of fun running there. Except for falling on a 11 mile run. Twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling is not fun! I haven't run in Monterey but I've been there a few times and it's gorgeous.

      Delete
  3. I also love a turkey trot on Thanksgiving Day. A friend ran the Big Surnmarathon and absolutely loved it. That one might have to go on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A marathon is very daunting but the half in Monterey looks great.

      Delete
  4. I have never run in a costume and it doesn't sound appealing. I would be worried of chafing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My running costumes are put together with running gear. I'm not creative either so it's more influenced by costumes and not an actual costume.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I loved Thanksgiving in 2012 when my family and I did a turkey trot. I felt I got a lot accomplished before the meal.

      Delete
  6. I love dressing up for races! It is all in making it fun! Big Sur would be a great race to add to the bucket list. It's quite a ways from me but it may happen!!!! Enjoy your long weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more fun people watching and costume spotting, especially at Disney. There are so many creative ideas.

      Delete
  7. I've never dressed in full costume, just a little sparkle here and there. But, I'm not opposed as long as it is comfy. I would love to run the Big Sur Half as well. How beautiful. And yes, eating yourself into a coma - the definition of Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use running gear that I own so I know the outfit will be comfy. Anything that interferes with running or chafes is out.

      Delete