Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Running Role Models

Tuesdays on the run and today's topic is running role models.  I had to think about this one because I automatically thought of elite runners, but then I thought of everyday runners too.

As a female runner, I have to give a nod to Joan Benoit Samuelson and Grete Waitz.  The IOC bought in to the old adage that marathons were dangerous for women and didn't have the competition until 1984, the year before I was born.  Archaic, outdated, chauvinist, whatever you want to call it.  Samuelson and Waitz had run multiple marathons before 1984 and are legends.  They won the gold and silver, respectively.



Today, names like Kara Goucher, Shalane Flanagan and Meb Keflezighi are on my list as well.  I was almost screaming at my computer last year when Meb won Boston.  I had to keep my crazy contained though since I was at work.

My other role models are family and friends.  My parents were running before me, and friends were too.  It may have taken me a little longer to get to long-distance running, but I eventually did.  When I did, I was able to pick their brains and I listened!  It wasn't like when I was a teen and my parents tried to tell me something.  I looked for advice and I took it.


Tuesdays on the Run with  AprilPatty, and Erika.

12 comments:

  1. We have a lot of the same role models (like most other runners I'm sure!) I still can't believe that people used to think women couldn't run anything over 400m without their uterus falling out..we've come a long way since then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talked about this in high school history and one of my classmates said if women's uteruses could fall out, men's testicles could fall off!

      Delete
  2. Friends and family are inspiring. My uncle got qualified for the Boston marathon yrs ago and back then i wasnt even a runner but I thought that was so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved watching Boston even when I didn't want to run more than 3 miles at a time.

      Delete
  3. I think Joan Benoit Samuelson is amazing. She does the color commentary for the Chicago Marathon and I love listening to her thoughts. I think she's actually going to be running Chicago this year to commemorate the 30th anniversary of her victory there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear that! I know she would have a lot of good points.

      Delete
  4. Great post! I agree friends and family are inspiring. I even find myself inspired by the bloggers I follow and their trials or things they go through and push through to get to their goals and make their dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everyone in the running community is inspiring.

      Delete
  5. I love the women runners who paved the way for it to be so "normal" for us to pound the pavement today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look up to that generation for all sports. I wasn't easy for them, but they did it because they loved it.

      Delete
  6. Meb and Kathrine Switzer are my two "famous" runners that I find inspirational. Like you most of the runners who inspire me are regular, everyday runners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Famous and non-famous a like. I love how elites and amateurs run the same course on the same day.

      Delete