Today's Friday Five is advice for runners. New, intermediate or advanced, advice always helps.
1) Get fitted for shoes. Even if you think you're already wearing the right shoes for you, get fitted! It's free, and you'll find out for sure what type of shoes you should be wearing.
2) The right sports bra will mean everything. I'ved chaffed on my torso and when the shower water finds those spots, people learn I've got a good 4-letter-word vocabulary.
3) Strength train!!! Take it from someone who was out of the game for 2 years. I thought I was strength training properly, but nope. Change things up so your muscles don't get used to one thing. I'm doing weights, Pilates, barre, DVD workouts, plyometrics and yoga.
4) Hydrate properly. Drinking water isn't enough, even in winter. If you sweat a lot, you're sweating out electrolytes. Powerade, Gatorade, Nuun, the choices are out there to replenish what you sweat out.
5) Go at your own pace and your own intervals. It's OK to walk, run, jog, fast, slow. You're out there, beating everyone who isn't out there. Your pace is your pace, and be proud of that.
Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DC, Mar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!