Friday, August 14, 2015

Advice for Runners

Today's Friday Five is advice for runners.  New, intermediate or advanced, advice always helps.


1) Get fitted for shoes.  Even if you think you're already wearing the right shoes for you, get fitted!  It's free, and you'll find out for sure what type of shoes you should be wearing.

2) The right sports bra will mean everything.  I'ved chaffed on my torso and when the shower water finds those spots, people learn I've got a good 4-letter-word vocabulary.

3) Strength train!!!  Take it from someone who was out of the game for 2 years.  I thought I was strength training properly, but nope.  Change things up so your muscles don't get used to one thing.  I'm doing weights, Pilates, barre, DVD workouts, plyometrics and yoga.

4) Hydrate properly.  Drinking water isn't enough, even in winter.  If you sweat a lot, you're sweating out electrolytes.  Powerade, Gatorade, Nuun, the choices are out there to replenish what you sweat out.

5) Go at your own pace and your own intervals.  It's OK to walk, run, jog, fast, slow.  You're out there, beating everyone who isn't out there.  Your pace is your pace, and be proud of that.

Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!

12 comments:

  1. I finally went and bought two new sports bras yesterday. I was way overdue. I can't believe I have gone so long with not having decent ones. They make such a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, but I will admit, I don't adhere to the 1 year rule.

      Delete
  2. Great tips! All of them!!! Strength training has been a godsend for me. I used to think that to improve your running, you needed to log as many miles as possible. Now, I've learned that cross-training is just as important to overall training as running is itself. It seems counterintuitive but it works!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know cross training is good, but I wasn't doing enough of it, and then not enough strength training. That was a bad combo.

      Delete
  3. Yup I can't stress enough about strength training! I've learned the hard way too! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I don't want to relapse so I'm focusing a lot on various methods of strength training.

      Delete
  4. Love you last piece of advice! Even though I might be the slowest person out on the track some days, I tell myself I'm still lapping everyone sitting at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love not comparing myself to others. I had to in college to compete for a spot on my team, and it was so frustrating.

      Delete
  5. There's nothing worse than wearing the wrong size shoes, or nonsupportive shoes. Getting fit for shoes is one of the wisest choices a runner can make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the very first piece of advice I got, and I got to know my LRS quickly.

      Delete
  6. Agree with all of these!! Strength training is so important and it took me far too long to realize that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was strength training but it turned out not enough. I wish I could've gotten a warning but the injury just hit.

      Delete