Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Running Muscles

Today's Tuesday on the Run is show us where you run.  I run on the treadmill right now so that'd be boring.


Instead I'm going to talk about running muscles.  I ordered the Iron Strength workout a couple weeks ago and it arrived on Friday.  I've only watched the routines, but my first workout will be Thursday this week.  I might use the bonus workouts first since they're shorter, to try to ease my muscles into this workout.

This was created by Dr. Jordan Metzl when he noticed runners at his medicine practice were more prone injury than triathletes with lack of cross training and body strength.  One thing he mentions a lot in the routine is running muscles, and in the bonus glute workout he mentions what he calls "weak butt syndrome."  He said running injuries can be traced back to the weak butt syndrome, and the workout is meant to engage these muscles and strengthen them.  Yes, I have weak butt syndrome, but I'll blame that on "desk job syndrome."  Dana Carvey was right, "you lose your ass by 30 because you're sitting all day."


All I can say, after watching the main routine and the glutes routine is, what am I getting myself in to?  Seriously, what have I decided to do?!  These are super sets, with 4-5 sets each of exercises.  Yes I can do them all at home, but holy chocolate!  Last week I cancelled my PT session for this week because I'm ready to try things on my own.  This is definitely a no pain, no gain thing, but still.

Tuesdays on the Run with  AprilPatty, and Erika.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! And I love how you say that showing where you run (treadmill) would be boring. you're funny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but it lets me workout without needing to get from point A to point B.

      Delete
  2. So important to strengthening those running muscles. I'm pretty sure that my glutes have weakened this past year - gotta get on it! Good luck with the training program!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think people realize how important glutes are until they get injured.

      Delete
  3. Iron Strength is no joke! I kind of want to order the video so I can try the glute routine (right now I just use the routine from the book)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 15 minutes of the glute exercises from the main routine. I don't have the book so I don't know how the routines are similar/different.

      Delete
  4. OMG, I definitely have weak butt syndrome! I was just saying that my behind felt so heavy on my last run. But then again, maybe I've gained a few pounds. -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have a weak butt, but there's not much I can do about the sitting during the day. There's no way my office would pay for a work station.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, that weak butt thing is a big issue for me too. My PT said all my running injuries can be traced back to my backside! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have strong glute muscles but sadly, no more. I'm trying to build them back up but it's a slow process.

      Delete