Do you ever look at something and really wonder why people do it? And if the person who came up with it knew what they were doing? Today's Friday 5 is Health Trends I Will Never Do.
1) Juice cleanses. These are suppose to cleanse the body of toxins, but guess what? We already have a natural organ that does just that. Our liver! I'm not going to drink some nasty liquids just because Gwyneth Paltrow promotes it. If you take away my food, I will be your worst nightmare.
2) Cross-fit. I know my boundaries, and I already had someone yelling at me to keep going, in a sergeant major voice. It's called a college coach.
3) Gluten free. I can process gluten, so there's no point in me going gluten free. I know people suffer from Celiac, and some people are extremely sensitive to gluten, like one of my friends. Outside of that, it's a diet fad that will go away, just like every other fad. This is up there with cleansings. It's a fad, and I'm not buying it.
4) Vibram five fingers (or other "natural running" stuff). I know my feet, and I have high arches. I over pronate and I have high arches. That just spells disaster if I don't have cushion and support in my shoes. The shoes may be clunky, but my feet are happy.
5) A Tri. This is nothing to do with the race itself. I think people who do triathlons are great, and huge kudos. I'm just not a water person. I know how to not drown, but I don't have a good relationship with water when it comes to swimming. I failed at snorkeling for crying out loud!
Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DC, Mar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!