Friday, July 10, 2015

Health Trends

Do you ever look at something and really wonder why people do it?  And if the person who came up with it knew what they were doing?  Today's Friday 5 is Health Trends I Will Never Do.

1) Juice cleanses.  These are suppose to cleanse the body of toxins, but guess what?  We already have a natural organ that does just that.  Our liver!  I'm not going to drink some nasty liquids just because Gwyneth Paltrow promotes it.  If you take away my food, I will be your worst nightmare.

2) Cross-fit.  I know my boundaries, and I already had someone yelling at me to keep going, in a sergeant major voice.  It's called a college coach.

3) Gluten free.  I can process gluten, so there's no point in me going gluten free.  I know people suffer from Celiac, and some people are extremely sensitive to gluten, like one of my friends.  Outside of that, it's a diet fad that will go away, just like every other fad.  This is up there with cleansings.  It's a fad, and I'm not buying it.


4) Vibram five fingers (or other "natural running" stuff).  I know my feet, and I have high arches.  I over pronate and I have high arches.  That just spells disaster if I don't have cushion and support in my shoes.  The shoes may be clunky, but my feet are happy.

5) A Tri.  This is nothing to do with the race itself.  I think people who do triathlons are great, and huge kudos.  I'm just not a water person.  I know how to not drown, but I don't have a good relationship with water when it comes to swimming.  I failed at snorkeling for crying out loud!


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?! 



10 comments:

  1. I've tried sips of a couple of the juices used in juice cleanses and I just can't bring myself to stomach the bitter taste of most of them. Yuk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taste is so important to me. If they're as nasty as people say, I wouldn't drink it.

      Delete
  2. Interesting points here! I love everything dealing with water and my goal is to do a tri next year. I completely understand people who don't want to (which seems like a common theme in today's posts!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that. I admire people who can do all that in one day, but I'm just not a water person.

      Delete
  3. I have tried those vibram shoes years ago and I did not like them. My legs were killing me due to no support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being barefoot but not while running.

      Delete
  4. Funny how there's sooooo many less people running in Vibram's these days. I guess everyone got injured? I'll take the clunky shoes for my high arches too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention the class action lawsuit again Vibram. I need cushion and support when I'm running.

      Delete
  5. You hit the nail on the head with your list. I'll have to remember your line when people look at me incredulously when I tell them that I don't eat a gluten-free diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just tired of diet fads making an enemy out of food.

      Delete