Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Alternative Medicine Treatments

Today's Tuesdays on the Run is about alternative medicine treatments.  I've had some experience with that since I got hit with ITBS in 2013, so here we go.


First, I started seeing an orthopedic chiropractor in September 2013 when it was obvious my leg was not loosening up at all.  I had rested the whole summer, I had the WDW half '14 to train for, and I was making 0 progress.  I started going twice a week, then once every week, now I'm going once a month to make sure things are staying in alignment.  My first visit was great because he figured out a huge problem and set out to fix it.  My hip muscles had gotten so tight to balance my weaknesses on both sides, they were pulling my right hip up and out of alignment.  He had to fix that first before getting my spine and hips back in alignment, which did take some work.  Even with all this, I couldn't run WDW half '14 so I walked it.


Next was in 2014, after my coritsone shot didn't help one iota, but the orthopedic surgeon, after saying they don't do surgery for ITBS, recommended Airrosti (I'm not advertising them, this is just my experience).  This is what got me started back down the path of fitness.  It's similar to a deep tissue massage, and they focus solely on the trouble area(s) to get the knots out and loosening up the muscles and fascia.  I don't bruise easily, and I had some pretty impressive bruises!  I went there for a month before I was given the OK to do the home exercises on my own, and I've slowly been building since last October.  And I do mean slow!  They stressed going slow, otherwise I'd be back at square one.  They don't have locations in many states, but they are in Illinois, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia and Washington.  (If anyone reading lives in the northern Dallas suburbs, I went to Dr. Brown in Plano.)


Since my cortisone shot failed, I won't be going down that path again.  The surgeon was great, but if it's not going to help, why do it?  I'm still building, maybe too cautiously, but I was out of the game for two years and don't want a set back.

Tuesdays on the Run with  AprilPatty, and Erika.

8 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds really intense! That's great your chiropractor was able to pinpoint you hip issues. I do wonder if it would help my hips get in alignment but after dealing with a hack I've been nervous about going...even though I get insurance coverage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This place was recommend by a Tri shop since they host workshops. If they came recommended by athletes, I figured they were worth a shot.

      Delete
  2. One thing I love about having lots of different treatment options is different things work for different people, so when one thing is not working at least there are a few other options. You were actually the first person that I heard go through Airrosti and based on your experience I would probably recommend it for any others I hear who have IT to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of it until the surgeon recommended them. They have a ton of locations in Texas.

      Delete
  3. My sister has gotten several cortisone shots as well and it is a quick fix and then the pain is back. That procedure sounds great. Too bad they don't have one in PA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine wasn't even a quick fix. I tried it because I was desperate but now I know.

      Delete
  4. A combo of chiro and massage has helped me with some stubborn injuries in the past too. Glad you found some relief and for what it is worth, I think it's smart to take it slow coming back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been slow but I'd rather do this instead of surgery. I finally had a breakthrough and I've been feeling good.

      Delete