Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tuesdays on the Run

I'll post the write ups to our last day in Napa and then the Disney Family Museum starting tomorrow, but so much running stuff to update y'all with.

First, I bought new running shoes Memorial Day.  I've mentioned here before that I was angry at Asics for taking my tried and true 21xx series and ruining them with the first iteration of the GT 2000s.  I've worn Altras, Newtons and Brooks, and only the Brooks Adrenaline 14s felt like a good fit.  I ordered the 15s back in February to get the incredibly hot pink color, but there were small features that never felt right.  Enter me researching Asics and reading good reviews about the 3rd iteration of the GT 2000s.  I bought a pair and have retired the 15s as my every day, wet weather/muddy weather shoe.


Second, I ran 6/2, the day before national running day, without any real goal in mind.  My right leg had been tight since getting back from vacation, and I was taking it easy with the new shoes.  I did only one other run, 2 miles, but I felt so good on 6/2 that I pushed past 2 miles, all the way to 3.1.  3.1!  I hadn't done the distance since 2013, as part of my Eugene Half.  Pain free too, and I almost felt like I was in the zone.  Does it make since that I want to hug my Halloween playlist since that's what I decided to listen to?


Third, I came across Run the Edge's virtual challenges, and I want to do the one in September, if I can keep hitting 5k consistently.  I haven't decided if I want to add a medal or shirt, but the medal looks great, and the virtual run itself is only $6.  Why not?  There's also a core work challenge from their fitness coach, so not only would it be a run, I can work towards other stuff too.

Fourth, what a crazy national running day.  Did any of y'all read the ProPublica article about doping allegations against Alberto Salazar?  I hadn't heard any of the rumors swirling around, but apparently they've been swirling around for years.  The documentary Panorama put together, Catch Me If You Can, is available on their Youtube channel, and it's very interesting.  It's certainly gotten WADA's attention, from what I've read of the reaction.

I come back from vacation and look what happens!


 Tuesdays on the Run wit AprilPatty, and Erika.

12 comments:

  1. So sad to hear about Salazar..what a shame :( I feel so disappointed in pretty much every athlete that I looked up to growing up- from Lance Armstrong to Alex Rodriguez..it's like no one has morals in the sporting world. No wonder I can't keep up with them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed but to be honest, I wasn't shocked. I don't want to be a cynic, but I have reasons to be.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you have been runnning injury free. Looks like those new shoes are treating you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could've been a coincidence, but maybe not. If these shoes work out great, I'm going to need to stock pile them.

      Delete
  3. Great looking shoes!
    I am actually wearing the Asics GT 2000's right now, they are a great shoe. Although it's a running shoe, I bought the all black version for my days at work because I needed a good running support shoe for all the walking and running around I do. But even though I use them for work, in past years a few times I have used them for training and marathons and they have always been a great shoe! Hope you like them! And WOOT WOOT on the pain free running!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not like the first round of the GT 2000s but these shoes are proving much better (so far, knock on wood).

      Delete
  4. Congrats on running 3.1 miles without pain. Awesome!! I have never tried Asics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really needed that run. I know I'll have good days and bad days, but that 3.1 felt awesome.

      Delete
  5. coming back to running pain free is awesome been there myself lately. I love my asics Kayano the color of yours is cute though. I've not seen the virtual challenges I need to check them out for days it might be too hot out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are a different color than what they had in the store but I like them. They're colorful but they aren't obnoxious about it.

      Delete
  6. That is awesome - congrats on your 3.1!

    I need to look in to the Salazar thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know anything about the Salazar thing until Facebook trending brought it up.

      Delete