Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Time to Check In

Today's on the run, and this post will be about me checking in since I haven't run a challenge race and have no tips.

It's time to check in because so far, June has been a good month *knock on wood*.  I have done a 5k on the treadmill twice, with smaller runs in between.  I don't want to plan too far ahead, so I'm taking things a week at a time.  If I do a 5k, then the next week is more a recovery week with more foam rolling, stretching and yes, rest.  I'm still trying to figure out what is a good active rest week.

I don't want to think it was a simple switch of shoes, but maybe it was.  I put my anger aside and went back to Asics after reading good reviews of the GT 2000s.  My biomechanics obviously like Asics and as long as Asics doesn't change the model (again), my body will be happy.

Is it more strength training?  Yes, I am slowly pulling away from physical therapy but I'm adding in more strength training, including Pure Barre.  When both my chiropractor and PT said Pure Barre is great, I knew I had to keep at it.  It's the only workout I've found, so far, that focuses on my weaknesses and forces me to strengthen them.  Where was PB when I was in high school?  These weaknesses go all the way back then.

All I do know is things seem to be working (again, I'm superstitious).  It feels goods, and I hope I can continue the good luck throughout the summer.


Tuesdays on the Run with  AprilPatty, and Erika.

8 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog for over a year, almost 2 an have been following your progress. But I have been wanting to ask you what you initial injury was? I feel like i'm in your same position now although I am no where near ready to run a 5K. I really admire you for taking things slow and listening to your body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ITBS. I got hit with it during training for the Eugene half in 2013 but it wasn't bad enough to keep me from the race. Then my leg unraveled during the last 5k of the half and I'm sure all these affects are from that. I've been trying to be patient and do the right thing, and not race, but that's not in my nature, which makes is so difficult.

      Delete
    2. Patience has been the most difficult thing for me thus far. It is so hard to sit here and watch everyone else run on these beautiful days! I have notice that what once was severe ITBS pain is now concentrate more on my knee and the back of my knees. Is that the normal progression of this injury? Have you noticed your pain moving around?

      Delete
    3. On occasion it'll feel like is lower, like along my shin bone, or behind my knee, but most of the time it's been in that classic ITBS spot.

      Delete
  2. Shoes are a very powerful thing, they can make a huge difference to us, so it's possible it might be the shoes:)
    Still love your smart approach of getting back into this! If I remember you got your injury around the same time I started coming down with my work injury. Eventually we are both going to be fully back and racing as we love:) Meanwhile, here is to our getting back into it all "smartly" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March 2013 was when I first got it, lucky me. I know people who can keep going through it, but I couldn't. I was in too much pain.

      Delete
  3. I wish I had the time and money to do PB regularly. I found it really strengthened my weak areas. Hope the shoes work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I end up doing PB twice a month with other strength training in between, on the weekends and during the week.

      Delete