Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Seghesio and Silver Oaks

Today's post will cover two wineries since we didn't have a tour at either one.  Seghesio is in St. Helena and Silver Oaks has two locations - we went to the one in the Alexander Valley.  They even gave us a wine glass after the tasting, so I had to figure out how to pack my suitcase so it wouldn't break on the flight home.


Seghesio is known for its Zinfandels, but that's not the only wine they make.  Seghesio has been around for 120 years, established by Italian immigrants, so their wines range from Italian whites, Italian reds, Zinfandels, and red blends.  I think their tastings rotate because the day's tastings are written on a chalkboard outside the tasting room.


2014 Arneis
2011 Dutton-Manzana Pinot Noir
2012 Rock Pile Zinfandel
2012 Home Ranch Zinfandel
2010 Il Cinghiale Petite Sirah

The Arneis is a white wine and I liked that since it was similar to Fort Ross's Chardonnay.  It was a light white that had a crisp flavor and would be good for a summer wine.  OK, I liked all the wines we tasted there, but my favorites were the Arneis and the Petite Sirah.

Since Seghesio was in the morning and our tour at Lytton Springs didn't start until 2, we had plenty of time to get lunch and go to another tasting.  Silver Oak wasn't planned, but there are so many vineyards, and some don't require reservations.


Silver Oak is a single-vineyard, and we tasted 4 different Cabs:

2010 Alexander Valley
2007 Alexander Valley
2010 Napa Valley
2007 Napa Valley

I will be honest, I thought the 2010 Alexander Valley Cab was quite harsh.  The 2007 was much better, so it's obvious the 2010 wine needed to age more.  The Napa Valley cabs were both quite good, so 3/4 on my report card.

One fun things the tasting room had was a wine library.  There is a bottle of every vintage ever made.


10 comments:

  1. Very cool! For those who love wine, I bet they'd love to have their own wine library:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library was quite impressive.

      Delete
  2. Looks perfect! Wine tasting is one of my favorite things to do. Luckily there are lots of places to visit near Pittsburgh! I'll have to try out Napa sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew VA has vineyards but didn't know about PA.

      Delete
  3. I need to step my wine game up! This looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All days were so much fun. I didn't want to do too many each day so I could enjoy each one.

      Delete
  4. Wine tasting is such a fun activity! Its been too long since my last winery visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were fun, and we were there when schools were still in session. We didn't have to worry about the summer rush yet.

      Delete
  5. Looks like so much fun! I love that wine library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to check it out once we learned what it was. Every single year in that library

      Delete