Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Running Solo

Tuesdays on the Run with  AprilPatty, and Erika.


Today's topic is running solo vs. running with a group.  I have always enjoyed running solo than with a group.  When I ran with team groups in high school and college, I always ended up at the back and struggled to keep up.  Running fast for long distances wasn't my strong suit, so now when I can decide things, I run by myself.  

I'm an afternoon runner, and I like to run after work.  I work 7-4 which gives me some calmer time at the gym before the rush hour gym-goers descend on the building.  I can put my headphones in and just zone out.  I'm not good at talking when I run, mostly because I'm processing things that happened that day, or I'm just in my own world.  Between that and the headphones, I won't hear a single question directed towards me.  I'm also not social when I run so one of my pet peeves is if someone next to me wants to talk.  I consider the headphones as the international symbol of "I don't want to talk."

I do get help foam rolling
Not to mention my injury.  If I'm good for two miles, I'm good for two miles and can step off the treadmill and go home.  I can run at the pace that works for me, using the run/walk intervals that work for me.   I don't lack for motivation though.  I love the blogging world because I see what others are up to and it keeps me going.

10 comments:

  1. I have a similar work schedule to you (6-3:30) so I get home at 4 for my runs and I do them solo. I really enjoy it! If you run in a group it's all about finding the right person you click with...sometimes that takes time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My LRS has group runs every Wednesday but I don't live near it and would have to go out of my way. It really depends on my schedule and what I want to do.

      Delete
  2. I completely understand all your points! I also love running after work, and most of the running clubs in my area are either super early or late in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm up early enough for work and I know I wouldn't be able to do early morning groups and get to work on time.

      Delete
  3. I prefer to run solo as well. Its my time to think and process other things that are going on! I also like to go early in the morning and it would be tough to have to coordinate with others about when/where to run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to just be when I'm running after work. If I'm wound up about something, I can get it out of my system before I head home.

      Delete
  4. LOL, I am the same way with headphones, if I have them on, I like to think of them also as the international signal of "don't want to talk":)
    I am also a solo runner, I know group running has its benefits. But for me there is nothing better than heading out alone and exploring the pavement and trails on my own terms, if I want to go longer or shorter its entirely on me, faster or slower I don't have to worry about what others want to do, I can just be free and be me! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This! Right now I do what I feel is good. I don't have a plan whenever I run, I just go until I reach a good distance.

      Delete
  5. I don't usually talk on a run either but my reasoning is because I rarely have my breathing under control...lol -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never could do that either, no matter how good a shape I was in. Whenever I talk, I get a horrible side cramp.

      Delete