Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Operation Petticoat (1959)

Summer is the time I watch the movies I have and movies Netflix has.  I was inspired to watch Operation Petticoat in San Francisco since Pier 39 has a WWII submarine available for touring.  I got claustrophobic when I hit the diesel room so I didn't see much of the inside of the submarine.  I had to get out to fresh air as fast as I could, and that's never happened before.  If you're looking for a good written comedy, Operation Petticoat is it.  It's directed by Blake Edwards and stars Cary Grant and Tony Curtis.


From Amazon:

Cary Grant and Tony Curtis ship out for laughs and adventure in one of the most hilarious comedies to ever hit the high seas. Commander Matt Sherman (Grant) has his toughest assignment yet - to put a broken sardine can of a submarine back into action. Enter supply officer Nick Holden (Curtis), a master scavenger with the (illegal) means to get the Sea Tiger purring - or at least afloat. But after the rescue of five stranded (and beautiful) nurses, the grey, battle-scarred sub has suddenly transformed into a pink, party-ready hot tub. Now there's only one course of action Sherman and his men can take - surrender!

4 comments:

  1. Summer is probably the time I watch the least amount of TV. I actually hate that all my favorite shows are on hiatus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My summer show started on Tuesday, and I'm so happy I gave it a try on Netflix a few years ago and got all caught up. It debuts every June so at least I have something new to watch.

      Delete
  2. I am an old movie person, I don't get to watch them near enough but Oddly enough I actually own Operation Petticoat, I'm a Cary Grant fan:)
    Actually, I had read a book called Love Lucy, which is a modern remake of "A Room With A View", and because of some references it made to a classic movie it made me me want to watch Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn, so I did yesterday and loved it. Couldn't believe it was the first time I had ever seen it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time seeing Roman Holiday? Isn't it good? I wish writing was as good now as it was then. I have TCM just to have something for old movies.

      Delete