Friday, May 1, 2015

Routines for Race Day

Today's Friday Five is Race Day.  I do a few things leading up to race day, so I'll post about all those, and not just what I do on race day itself.

1) Up the carbs a week prior.  I don't indulge in the carbo load the night prior to race day.  I don't believe what I can eat would be helpful, plus I graze.  I up my carb intake starting a week prior to the race, and at first they'll be complex carbs to try to store them up, then they'll be easier carbs a couple days out.  I stay away from greasy carbs though, so I'm picky about pizza prior to race morning.  The best carb meal I had was in 2014 before the WDW half.  We ordered take out from the Macaroni Grill and brought it back to our Disney hotel.


2) Flat Lesley.  I lay out EVERYTHING I need for race morning so I'm not banging around, getting dressed in the dark, waking up the whole hotel room.  If the whole hotel room is partaking in the race, everything is laid out and electronics are charged.

3) Never try anything new.  That includes breakfast.  I've traveled with my hot cereal mix and bagels and to-go peanut butter cups so I have exactly what I need and it's tried and true.  If we're at a place where I can get to a grocery store, I'll get a couple bananas to have as well and take one with me to the corrals.

4) Puppy bladder.  Some people need a PRP, I get puppy bladder.  You know all the excitement and puppies piddle on the floor?  Yeah, I get that.  I grew up taking road trips and my bladder can hold it for quite a while.  Put in race day, and I might as well have a revolving door to the bathroom.  Go, get out, get back in line.  Repeat.


5) Pedicure.  I pamper my feet after a big race because they've taken me through training and the race.  When the pedicure hits the massage part... heaven!

Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!

14 comments:

  1. Add me to the list of pedicure massage fans! :) I also like to lay all of my clothing out the night before the race - gotta be ready for the big day the next morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so good after a race. I let everything recover after a training cycle.

      Delete
  2. Lesley, I think your "puppy bladder" description is just about perfect! I can never figure out how I manage to go SO MANY TIMES before the race starts on the amount of liquid I've taken in that morning...how does this happen?!? I need to treat myself to a pedicure...whew. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I try to drink enough to get hydrated, but it doesn't warrant the number of times I have to pee.

      Delete
  3. OMG, love the puppy bladder analogy. I get that too. I even get it before getting on an airplane too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not bad flying, but after my last half marathon, I coined this term because that what it felt like.

      Delete
  4. I have puppy bladder, too! I think I pee at least 4 times before a race. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was funny during my first half, but I should've known. I've joined their ranks.

      Delete
  5. I totally have puppy bladder, too! That is the best analogy, ever. Usually I go to the portapotty, then as soon as I exit I get right back in line to go again. =D I'm also with you on not trying anything new, and laying everything out the night before. It gets too frenetic the morning of to be running around searching for stuff. It's stressful enough as it is without worrying about finding your socks in the dark and waking up the whole house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also pack multiple items for the race, just in case the weather changes. I want to be completely prepared.

      Delete
  6. Puppy bladder, Spot on. It's a mental thing for me....just go one more time. I am desperate for a pedicure but I'm waiting now for my blister to heal. Good polish color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puppy bladder is definitely a runner thing.

      Delete
  7. aw puppy bladder. im a prp girl, but i hear ya! i need a pedicure like whoa! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got a pedicure before Easter and it felt so good. Pampering is definitely needed after a race.

      Delete