Thursday, May 28, 2015

Napa Valley Wine Train

Sunday morning we left San Rafael and made our way to Napa to board the wine train.  We opted for the lunch tour, which departs at 11am sharp.  Boarding starts at 10:30, and there are various options available, including lunch and de-training and touring Grgich Hills Estate.  Grgich used to be the wine maker at Chateau Montelena where he helped craft the Chardonnay that won the Judgement of Paris in 1976.


We went for the Gourmet Express option, which was in a 1915 Pullman dining car, and we had lunch going up to Saint Helena, then in the lounge car for dessert going back to Napa.  In all, the journey is 3 hours, and we were assigned a table on the left side for lunch and then the right side for dessert.  The journey is through the historical industrial district of Napa, and once out of Napa, the train rolls by a number of vineyards.  The Wine Train provides a map of the journey with the major wineries included on the map.


For food, I had the baby lettuce salad, grilled breast of chicken, and then the flourless chocolate cake for dessert.  Our wine during lunch was a complimentary glass when we came on board, and we ordered a Sangiovese from Castello di Amorosa.  No picture of the chocolate cake since I ate it without thinking of taking a picture.


After arriving back in Napa, we got in the car and headed up to Geyserville for the next two days.  The train ride was a complete splurge but was very enjoyable.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! The picture is beautiful. I love to take train rides, and got the opportunity to take one while I was in Mallorca. Beautiful way to see the countryside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was perfect. We had no reason to rush up to Geyserville and doing the wine train was a great intro to the region.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to get to Napa one of these days, it looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time to Napa and I loved it. I don't know how people can rush through the vineyards, my whole point to go to Napa is to relax and slow down.

      Delete
  3. I have an affinity with trains! I think they are so old-world glamorous. How awesome that you got to see the countryside onboard a train! Nice that you could fully enjoy your wine without having to worry about driving afterwards, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Instead we got to go to the lounge car to have coffee/tea and dessert. A leisurely ride up and back.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a lot of fun!! you had a great trip with a lot of fun experiences! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did indeed. This trip was everything I wanted, and yet I want to go back and see more wineries. There are just sooo many.

      Delete