Monday, April 27, 2015

Monday Musings 4/27


I need a new cross training exercise y'all.  I've been biking on Thursdays but now I'm bored with that.  I need to figure out something new, otherwise I have two consecutive rest days at the end of the week.  Maybe more yoga?  If so, yoga will be Mondays and Thursdays, but I have to admit I've had great runs the past two Saturdays, when I did have both Thursday and Friday as rest days.

Saturday I decided to try a new to me recipe of chicken salsa verde in the crock pot.  I followed this recipe from Skinnytaste, but I did throw in a cup of chicken broth because I didn't think the 16oz of salsa verde would keep the meat moist by itself.  I made Spanish rice to go with it and put the meat into corn tacos.  This was a success!  That is one I'm keeping since I'm looking for easy chicken recipes for the summer.  I have a feeling my crock pot will get some good use.

I also discovered this:


Yeah, that bag is now empty, but on Sunday I found the chocolate-covered cherries at Sprouts, so I have more for the week.  I need to come up with dessert ideas while Blue Bell cleans up their production line.  Once Blue Bell is back up and running, I'll have my ice cream again.  In the mean time, I'm getting dessert and a fruit serving rolled into one.

My friends and I got together Sunday to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  There's been a bit of press about the 40th anniversary this year and the Pythons being at the Tribeca Film Festival so I thought a viewing of our own was in store.  Anybody else Monty Python fans?






Weekend update with Tara at Running N Reading.


*****

Sunday: Pure Barre

Monday: yoga

Tuesday: 2.75 miles

Wednesday: strength training - core and legs

Thursday: rest

Friday: rest

Saturday: 2.25 miles

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the chicken salsa verde recipe! I absolutely love my slow cooker - it is a life saver when life gets very busy. In terms of cross-training, some of the activities I do other than biking include rowing, hill-walking on the treadmill, Zumba, and spinning (which I know is a form of biking, but it's such a different focus). Yum, chocolate covered cherries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my slow cooker too. I think summer recipes are going to be easier this year *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  2. You always remind me I lack in having seen some of the great movies out there:) I need more time to fix that ha ha
    I hear many love Zumba, but if your cross training is the days you try to keep high impact exercise off your recovering injury, maybe swimming is something to give a try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never good at swimming but I know running in the pool is quite the workout.

      Delete
  3. I saw those cherries, Lesley, but I haven't tried them; I'm sure I would eat the whole bag in one day - ha! Thanks for sharing this recipe; I LOVE crock pot recipes and I'm saving this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost did eat the whole bag. I don't think it would help me buy more bags at once because there'd be more to eat at once.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad I haven't seen the Dove cherries. I'm not good about cross training! Do you like to swim? I'm always looking for chicken recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I dropped pork out of my diet without even knowing I did, which means I need to get creative with chicken and get more recipes.

      Delete
  5. I'll have to keep that Skinnytaste recipe in mind. I've never seen those Dove chocolates... hmmm if I buy them I am sure they would go quickly. Shockingly... I havent seen Monty Python yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found quite a few recipes from Skinnytaste. I'm looking for inspiration to keep fun recipes at hand.

      Delete
  6. I have got to find those chocolate covered cherries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were in the candy section at my store. There's more than cherries, but given the choice, and no chocolate strawberries are available, I always go with cherries.

      Delete
  7. I have got to find those chocolate covered cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dinner recipe sounds delicious and so do those cherries! I need them in my life now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite good, and I'm very happy I added a cup of chicken broth. The leftovers are quite moist too so the broth worked.

      Delete