Thursday, April 16, 2015

IT Band Rolling

This may be a long post, but it will be all about my lacrosse-ball rolling.  I learned these tricks at Airrosti last year, and it helped get me back to running.  I started doing these on my left leg too since I was only foam rolling that side.  My left leg was the good leg until I got a dull ache in the outside of that knee before Easter.  I don't know if it was a whoopsie since it hadn't been a problem, and I don't know if I would call it a problem just yet.  I'm keeping my eye on it though.

I start with my foam roller to warm things up.  I've started with the lacrosse ball before, and it hurts.  I do about 20 rolls each side, unless the leg does feel tight.  Then I'll do 2 sets of 20.  Sometimes if I feel a knot, I'll keep the knot on the foam roller and move my leg slowly side to side.  It helps to loosen the knot just a little bit.

Lacrosse ball:


I played lacrosse in high school and college and still have these with me.  They gave me some good bruises if I got hit.  It's solid rubber, and is SO much better than a tennis ball.  I smooshed the tennis balls so I threw them in the front closet until I got Allie.  Now the tennis balls are cat toys.

Trigger points - I let the ball dig into the trigger points for a few minutes, then roll the spot.  I start at the hip and work my way down the leg.  The main point is to work through any tightness that's built up.

* Hip - there's a crevice between the hip bone and thigh.  You'll know it because the ball fits in the crevice.  If there's no give, you're on the bone.  The below picture shows my hip crevice, at a much better angle than rolling on the floor.


* Mid leg - right on the IT band.  If I have the trigger point correct, I'll feel the pressure in my knee.  Roll as well

* Knee - right above the knee on the IT band.


* Glutes - I roll my glutes too in case the tightness starts there.  The piriformis is a great place to start, but I get the glutes and upper hamstrings.

All of this I was given to do on my own.  The Airrosti work was so good at digging down deep in the IT band, and the lacrosse ball exercises I did at home.  When I was discharged from Airrosti, I was told to keep these up to keep the leg loose.

8 comments:

  1. I'm actually really glad you posted this!
    I have heard a lot of good things about this over the past year, and have also heard its great for IT and as well as keeping different muscles loose. I have lots of tennis balls, I know you said they aren't the best but I may try it with those a few times before looking into purchasing a more solid ball if I end up liking it!! Thanks for sharing Lesley!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tennis balls didn't hold up, but I didn't think of my lacrosse balls until my Airrosti sessions.

      Delete
  2. Finally I know what a lacrosse ball looks like! I have to admit I've been slacking on foam rolling lately. My quads, IT band, hamstrings and hips really appreciate it! It's definitely important to keep up with those exercises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good foam roller is vital too. I did keep up with foam rolling in the past but when the foam roller breaks down, it doesn't do much.

      Delete
  3. This is a really great post! I love how you put up pictures to demonstrate. I bet this hurts a lot but will make a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't hurt much and it certainly did in the beginning. My leg was soooo tight when I went to Airrosti and those sessions and the rolling hurt and created some impressive bruises.

      Delete
  4. The only thing I ever roll is my calves. Yeah, I'm a rebel that way.

    And YAY, I can comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for letting me know so I could make the changes :)

      Delete