Thursday, March 19, 2015

Sequels Fail

Last week Disney announced they are making a Frozen sequel.  Why oh why?  To me, sequels never live up to the hype and tend to be churned out.  Sure, animating it will slow down production, but studios get wrapped up in the hype and sequels are normally anywhere from just OK to awful.  Think the Pirates franchise.  The first movie has a spark the others don't.  Pixar did it right with Toy Story, but that's the exception.  I'd hate to see the second Frozen lack all the spark of the first movie.


The question is do I trust Disney to do this right?  Even with the right people in place, it could still end up bad.  I feel protective of Frozen since I love it so much and I see a lot of myself in Anna.  Is it my favorite Disney movie?  No, that's still with Beauty and the Beast.  I was tempted to see the Frozen short and skip out on Cinderella last weekend, but I've decided against that.  Once Cinderella hits Netflix, I'll get it to watch the short and skip the movie.

Anybody else skeptical of Frozen 2, or love movies with awful sequels?

6 comments:

  1. The Frozen sequel may not be as good as the first one but I'm sure it will still bring in plenty of money and be a big hit. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it will, and that's why the studio wants to do it.

      Delete
  2. I know I'm in the minority, but I have yet to be able to jump on the Frozen train. Forget about trying to get me to buy into a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I didn't want to because the first trailer didn't look appealing. But the second trailer got my interest and I saw the movie.

      Delete
  3. The Frozen short film was cute. I don't know, I guess if they do it right, it could be good. Guarantee every little girl under 7 will be there no matter what:)
    I saw Cinderella Monday and loved it, I actually thought they did a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite live-action Cinderella is from Rogers and Hammerstein. As a kid, I watched that as much as Disney's animated Cinderella.

      Delete